Skip to main content

Have yerselves a hooley this Hibernalia



As anyone who knows the Deptford Croppy will happily/ruefully tell you, there are few more fond exponents of cawbogourery, paddywhackery and outrageously tenuous claims of Irishness for unlikely candidates from A to Z -- (Muhammad) Ali to Zorro -- than yours truly.

Indeed, as my put-upon flatmates would no doubt exhaustedly testify, this relentless Irishry can take its toll. They might even reckon they could sleepwalk their way through our paramedic training modules on ‘Recognising Radicalisation’ after living with me for two years.

Identity is a recurrent leitmotif here at the Rusty Wire Service and frankly, it never gets old. So what better time to revisit the theme than on the weekend of our annual Hibernalia?

In fairness, much as I revel in the jubilant silliness of taking irrational pleasure in the (often exaggerated) fables of the land of my forbears, I’d die roaring before I’d allow myself to be called a nationalist. Even growing up during the Troubles in Ireland when ‘nationalism’ meant the moderate and parliamentary strain of aspiration for a united Ireland, I was loath to label myself thus.

As an early student of history (literally learned at my mother’s breast; thanks for that Mammy, your history degree has stood me in good stead), I’d learned to view the term ‘nationalism’ with profound distrust even though it pretty much underpinned my Planxty-soundtracked West-of-Ireland childhood.

Nationalism to me has always been a deeply ambivalent term. On the one hand, the re-surgence of Irish culture at the end of the 19th and early 20th century is the wellspring from whence we all draw. A pride in the language, the literature, the music, the games, a belief in the ark that was our island in the Dark Ages; all of these things that had been for centuries seen as badges of shameful subjugation and second-class culture began to mean something again.

Our first faltering steps into independence among the community of nations were basically the result of a bunch of erudite dreamers with guns saying: ‘You know what? We used to be the Island of Saints and Scholars and we can be again. To the barricades!’

It was all of a piece with what was happening in the rest of Europe at the time. A Serbian nationalist kicked off the First World War a couple of years before our terrible beauty was even born or resurrected at Easter 1916. And then, when the chance came in Ireland to exchange the crown for a harp on post boxes and summons letterheads, it was the nationalist middle not the working internationalists who ultimately carried the day. Nationalist historiography has always been adept at airbrushing the likes of the Lockout or the Limerick Soviet from its folkloric/heroic narrative.

The real problem with revolutions is that they have to end sooner or later and on our sainted wee isle we had the added challenge of partition. The Free State turned in on itself, carving up the 26 counties administration with the Church while in the North, that famous work ethic was employed creating a Protestant state for a Protestant people. And both sides, in their insular nationalism and settler loyalism were largely indistinguishable in their preoccupations from many of their ethnically uneasy European neighbours at the time. We all know how that ended right?

A great lexicographer apparently once said that politics is the last refuge of the scoundrel. But within that (neologism alert) scoundrelarchy, there can none more venal than the nationalist. Not 'nationalist' in the sense of Irish people not being able to admit that they wanted an end to the border without sounding like a ‘Tiocfaidh’ (prounounced ‘chucky’ if you’re not conversant, from: ‘Tiocfaidh ár lá’ – our day will come; Irish Republican crie de guerre). Not at all. More nationalist in the sense of ethnic particularity and purity.

This usually comes down to: My ancient culture – using rules I pretty much just made up – trumps yours (and by coincidence, we’re a bit down on our luck and you happen to be part of a very visible/successful/vocal minority, here at our sufferance) so you better knuckle under or we’ll send you back to where you (or your parents/grandparents) came from. That kind of nationalism: it’s got to be the scummy tideline around the bottom of the scoundrelarchy’s unflushed toilet.

While I’m proud to be Irish (or at least I take great pleasure in the culture that was handed down to me and I’m mindful of the sacrifices made for me to do so), authentic Irishness to my mind should never be viewed in solely Gaelic terms. Sure, these are the cultural touchstones available to all in Ireland and to all the diaspora and it offers a common vocabulary of Irishness to Gaels, newcomers and exiles alike. 

However that hiberno-argot is evolving. The past couple of decades have seen a significant influx of people from Europe and beyond and while there will always be a nostalgic and fearful constituency in any country when they see old certainties changing, this is, on the whole, a country growing more comfortable in its skin (whatever ‘tinge’ that might be).

The endless re-invention of this now global Irish trope is nothing new. One thing history teaches about Ireland is that even with wave after wave of invaders, everybody is Irish within a generation (or two at most if you’ve just moved to one of those really parochial wee places) and everybody leaves their mark. Lebor Gabála Érenn or the Book of Invasions is a good early medieval example of national mythmaking masquerading as monk-written history. We've been making up stories about ourselves for centuries and, as is our wont, most of the narrators are unreliable; after all, they tell the best stories. 

So in the end, who are the Irish? After all the ethnography, the ontology, the epistemology and the codology, I honestly couldn't tell you. We’re a complicated bunch though and I don’t see that changing any time soon. I pressed however,  I'd rely on a quote attributed to an Irish patriot: It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish Nation. If Thomas Davis was right, being Irish is a state of mind, it's being a citizen in a Republic of the imagination. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...