Skip to main content

Flinging Pennies At The Moon



The dispatches from Croppy Towers have been frankly scant over the past couple of years and for that I apologise. Indeed, it's hard to know where to start after a hiatus of this magnitude but if there are still readers out there: they are owed some kind of an explanation; however mealy-mouthed such an excuse might be.

For openers, I no longer reside in sunny sarf east London. Of course, my heart remains in County Deptford but for now, Croppy Towers have relocated to Chelmsford in Essex. The reason for this move is also pertinent to the paucity of output on The Rusty Wire Service in recent years.

Where does one start? A certain level of disillusionment crept into my dealings with the Fourth Estate after I realised that I was in effect flinging pennies at the moon in pursuit of the aim of speaking truth to power. 

This became abundantly apparent to me when I found myself obliged to write for the financial press as a matter of personal pecuniary necessity back in 2012/2013 (although in fairness, most of my journalistic career has been a battle against ethical/moral disillusionment). 

Working as a corporate shill with no room to manoeuvre editorially beyond the claustrophobic confines of a buy or sell recommendation was soul-destroying and exhausting in equal measure. 

To put that in another way, if you're flat-out building ugly cabinets for a living, the last thing you want to do is come home and start trying to build a brave wee boat...At least if you were of an artistic bent.

Now, I might possibly have been able to reconcile myself with that had I not been witness to such a shamefully escalated level of collusion with a cynical government on the part of my erstwhile colleagues in the mainstream media. 

First of all, it was clear to me in coverage of the Scottish Independence Referendum initially and then in media treatment of Jeremy Corbyn when it was manifest that he would win the Labour leadership election by a landslide. 

When I saw how that shit panned out with Corbyn it was obviously hugely embarrassing for a smug metropolitan elite who felt it was their right and privilege to bray the odds to an ignorant lumpenconsumeriat. 

Finally, it was that trade's failure (yeah, my former trade) to adequately report and explain the germane issues prior to the Brexit Referendum that made easier my decision to quit journalism in favour of a career that might actually offer me the opportunity to improve lives (and better if that was one life at a time).

So I took a different tack and one that involved learning new skills which put would put me at the front line; a place I'd always wanted to be. If the stars are aligned right, I'll be a paramedic in three years.

In breaks from my studies in anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and practical life-saving skills, I still aim to continue posting on this humble wee site but trust me, my respect for my former trade is at all-time lows that make sterling's current trawl of the bottom look like an optimistic prognosis. 

The bottom line? Now that I don't make cabinets for a living, I might just come home in the evening and want to keep working on that little boat: I hope it floats and that y'all would like to take up an oar with me.  

Comments

  1. Best of luck with your new path Sean and I hope you enjoy the studies and the work. I think at this stage, credible journalists are screaming into a void of post factual ignorance. Why bother researching a topic, writing a thoughtful, balanced, nuanced article looking at the situation with a critical eye, when one can just type up any old shite, regurgitated from the Daily Fail, The Excuse and the Murdhack press? Seems a lot of people just want to read what confirms their own bias. In fact I recently discovered that confirmation bias means exactly what I thought it did. Look forward to reading further dispatches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mate, it wasn't an easy decision in some ways but in others it was a no-brainer. Will hopefully have the time to scribble more -- at least while I'm a student (again!) -- but yeah, I couldn't keep screaming into the void.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...