Skip to main content

Well Done England!


It's been a while...
Lots of reasons for that but most of them in no way germane to the kind of schtick we normally purvey up here in Croppy Towers.
And as we're on the subject, exactly what kind of schtick was this questionable organ peddling in any event?
Looking back, a lot of it was probably sub-Brand polemic at best, based on the warm but woolly notion that somehow, there was still cause for optimism when it came to relying on the human capacity for empathy. But of course, as Nick Cave has rightly pointed out (and not today nor yesterday); 'People ain't no good'. But that of course is no reason stop giving a damn. You're all a bunch of wankers but I'd never see you in trouble if I could help it. Misanthropic philanthropy; probably more common than you'd imagine.
Looking down the barrel of another five years of the Tories without even the ineffectual sandbag of the Liberals to temper their excesses, I got to thinking...who the fuck voted for these shameless bastards?
Of course we can always blame old people, they're much more likely to vote Tory, or so goes the received wisdom on these matters. But that's the thing, we already know that coffin-dodgers vote for them, and let's be clear about this; they were pretty much the only people voting for them at the height of the Blair era and that's why they lost time and again.
Now?...Well it's a different story. It's not just old people with an eye on their pensions and Bobbies in the beat who betrayed the nation at the ballot box this time around. There was one editorial in the aftermath that got it dead right. They described it as 'a triumph of quiet conservatism' and they were right.
Why though are they quiet? Are they living a lie? Could it be that we have some kind of hipster Tory fifth column living in our midst? Behind their lumbersexual beards and faux eclectic tattoos, could it be that there's a whole tribe that live in fear of their mates (who they'll jettison anyway once they can't keep up on the earning and consumption stakes) calling them out as grabby mainstream poseurs?
Perhaps not.
But one thing's certain, there's a lot of silent Tories out there and it's just terribly sad that they keep voting for something which they are too ashamed to speak about publicly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...