Skip to main content

The Secret Policemen’s Dropped Balls


Jesus wept! Where does one start? First of all I love the name: Prism, it’s Man from Uncle meets the Dark Side of the Moon with a dash of the Matrix thrown in for good measure.  Well, as of 24 June (at the time of writing), nobody knew where the Man from Prism was. Had he gone to Ecuador? Was he in Cuba, did he ever leave Moscow? 

One thing is certain, Edward Snowden owes his liberty to a number of factors that have little to do with his own ingenuity as some kind of Digital Pimpernel. On the basis of media reports alone, it’s difficult to accurately assess  Mr Snowden’s value as an intelligence asset. His value as international embarrassment asset to Russian and China however, is beyond doubt.

The apparent ease with which Snowden  left Hong Kong  and jetted off to Moscow left The Company looking a little flat-footed. White House spokesman Jay Carney wasn’t buying the technicality schtick that the Chinese authorities were peddling.  He also conceded however that the US government was working only on an assumption that the NSA whistleblower (that’s what he’s called now in journalese) is still in Moscow. And it’s not that I’m anti-Team America (Fuck Yeah!) per se, but it is jolly nevertheless to imagine Mr Snowden sipping Cuba Libras on a layover while US intelligence camps out in Moscow.

Then here in the UK, those naughty secret policemen on the homefront (not the ones in the donut who play show and tell with the Americans) have been up all sorts. The balloons just keep going up. We’ve covered the vexing subject  of undercover policemen before and the issue of plain-clothes operatives infiltrating protest groups and even conducting sexual relationships with members of those groups or those seen to be close to them, remains a live issue.

Certainly, consent looms large and whether or not a person could actually give informed consent on the basis of identity being deliberately misrepresented would be an issue I’d like to see the courts tackle. This was pointed out quite rightly in the C4 Dispatches documentary on the subject. You don’t need me to tell that it’s a pretty disturbing assessment of how little store is set by our civil liberties when the state starts citing public policy considerations. This wasn’t to infiltrate the IRA or Al Qaida, this was for some penny-ante left-wing protesters. I guess the reasonable man should at least be asking himself whether or not a member of the public would be convicted of a crime for having sex under such huge pretences and if so, how much weight can one really give to public policy here?

The other ball that got dropped in the UK today was linked to the previous. (Don’t they always come in pairs?) . The news that the police in London were using undercover officers to investigate groups campaigning for justice in Deaths in Custody cases is quite disturbing. I worry when the state starts seeing people who are both victims and crusaders against government, CPS and police mendacity as enemies of the state worthy of such huge operational expense. The disregard for the lives of individuals betrayed by these men is a whole other arena.

The family of murdered Stephen Lawrence were among the highest profile subjects of police surveillance which included an attempted smear campaign and The Guardian reported that Stephen’s father, Neville had called for a judicial inquiry separate from the ongoing investigations into police corruption and incompetence. The Home Secretary may not find it easy to continue ignoring the calls. Twenty years on, the Lawrence case continues to shine a light on institutional police shortcomings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...