Skip to main content

A London Particular


Deptford High Street. Is there anywhere like it? Well, no but it would be disingenuous not to mention that each of the many real gems of the city will try to lay boastful claim to quintessential London authenticity and good luck to them.

I’ve worked in suits and workclothes all over the length and breadth of this fine city and nowhere I’ve lived; from Hammersmith to Hackney nor Finsbury Park to Forest Hill, has that London particularity of Deptford.  

Now I could tell you all about the birthplace of the Royal Navy or Tsar Peter the Great learning to be a shipwright there or even the murder of the poet Marlowe. I could happily point out the architectural niceties of baroque St Paul's or the Laban Centre.

I might even recommend a pint in the Dog and Bell or the Bird’s Nest, and maybe, for those of more robust constitution, I might even prescribe some boxing training in the gym above the Lord Clyde. But I don’t work for the Deptford tourist board.

Hell, I’m not even going to say; if it’s good enough for the New York Times, then it’s damn well good enough for me.

Instead I’d like to recount a wee vignette.

An Irishman walks into a shop. Inside, there’s a Muslim and Jew discussing religion. (And the Irishman says, What is this? Some kind of joke? No, not really.)

I was taking a dander on the High Street, as you do, and wandered into one of the many discount shops that serve that busy thoroughfare.

The owner, an older man of indeterminate Mediterranean appearance was deep in animated conversation with a young black Muslim. As I approached, nodded politely and waited to be served, the younger man addressed me with a broad smile. ‘Take a good look at this my man,’ he said. ‘How often will you find a Muslim and a Jew talking like this?’

Well, now you’ve got a lapsed Irish Catholic in the mix, we’ve practically got the whole set now.’

The shopkeeper smiled and the young man laughed. And for a few minutes, we all talked about the sheer foolishness of the differences fostered between the religions of the books and the deep ties that bind. We talked about Irish monks, Jewish merchants and Arab traders keeping learning alive in Europe in the so-called Dark Ages (not for us they weren’t).

We talked about the parallels drawn by people like Paddy Joe Hill and Gerry Conlon about Muslims being the 'new Irish'. We even talked about the Battle of Cable Street.

And just as quickly as it had begun, this animated exchange ran its course. Purchase made, I shook hands warmly with both my interlocutors and exited to the jubilant farewell of the younger man.

I made my way back down the High Street, through the thrifty shopping throng, past the gimlet eyes of the bookie shop losers, accompanied all the while by the plaintive cries of hawkers, echoing a song as old as Deptford itself.


Comments

  1. thanks for your little painted picture there

    ReplyDelete
  2. More of a thumbnail sketch but I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...