Skip to main content

Flegs and Amblems

Pic yoinked from: Declan Gallen

Identity: powerful word that.

Put 'cultural' in front of it or 'crisis' after it and you open up a whole dashboard of hot-button issues.

It's ineffable, elastic and slippery as a tickled trout the minute you start trying to define it.

It's also one of those things about which people are irrationally filled with pride.  They'll waste no time in telling you how they are: Proud to be English, Proud to be Irish, Proud to be a Prod, (Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee....) as if this was some kind of marvellous achievement; a feat of derring do which they had performed through sweat and toil and with swashbucklingly scant regard for their own health or safety. 

The truth about identity is always more prosaic than the ballads belie; you're English/Irish/Prod/Okie because that's probably what your Daddy was and his Daddy before him.  

 I'm guilty of it all the time myself; from Barack Obama to the inventor of the submarine and Che Guevara, I claim them all for the sainted western isle of saints and scholars; I strive endlessly to define and clarify that will-o-the-wispish geist of Gaelic quintessence but like marsh gas, mirages or the end of the rainbow, it's a quest for the elusive and illusive and is doomed to futility.

Or more accurately, it's futile if one expects it to end in a quantifiable destination. As a diverting exercise in myth re-enforcement however , the dumb-ass joy of patriotic pathos and Paddywhackery is its own reward. But this is after all a heady mix; it's all very well singing The Sash or The Foggy  Dew but they really should come -- like spirits -- with a health warning and the advice to consume responsibly.

Right now, Ulster loyalism -- the unloved ginger step-child of the disunited kingdom -- is having a cultural identity crisis of epic proportions. If Ulster Loyalism was a forty-year old man, he'd be dyeing his hair, stuffing a pair socks down his pants and mooning around car lots, casting longing looks at the cabriolets.

The only certainty for this community seems to be the knowledge that they will be manipulated by their 'betters' mar dhea*: the 'haves' and the 'have yachts' of the unionist top table. It's the same old Orange card that's been played for the last hundred years at least -- whip up the faithful, get them all riled up and fighty over some issue or other of grave importance to the future of the Union and then stand back and watch the fireworks (which are probably being launched at a police land rover).

Here again, in 2013, in the centenary year of the formal establishment of the Ulster Volunteer Force, Loyalism is once more the hapless dupe in an internecine struggle within the unionist political class.

The sad thing for them is that the identity to which they are clinging is viewed with exasperation and bemusement by most people in the UK. Britishness is -- as we've touched on before in these pages -- at the best of times, a complex, accommodating but occasionally ambivalent identity.

The fact is Loyalism makes many people in Britain very uncomfortable; its undertones of hard right association and increasingly -- perhaps because of emerging stories of collusion with the security forces in state-sponsored assassinations -- it's an ideology that is wholly unpalatable to the would-be metropolitan elite as well as most left-leaning institutions or media. So much so in fact that the old habit of dissociation and the trite but comforting mantra of 'it's those warring tribes again innit?' are every bit as much a feature of 21st century life as they were in the rather more scabrous 19th and 20th.
So whither Loyalism?

Well, if I was a Loyalist...

*Mar dhea: Irish; as it were

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...