Skip to main content

Two Years Later...


It's been two years since the Rusty Wire Service first posted. In that time, there have been reports from riots and protests; prison life has been chronicled and police station procedure has come under scrutiny and for good measure I have tried -- whenever I could -- to draw a bead on the venality of the dead-eyed consumer society in which we live and to ponder identity and social justice refracted through the often unreliable lenses of race and culture.

At all times,  The Rusty Wire Service has striven to remain to true to its brief manifesto as espoused in our first post back in the early winter of 2010, as Ireland prepared to sell its children into bonded servitude and exile: "We aim to cover a wide range of topics here but underpinning it all, we hope, will be a necessarily deep scepticism about established 'truths' and orthodoxies. First principles like liberty and legitimacy should never be taken for granted."

The Deptford Croppy would hope at least that this publication has stayed within an ass's roar of these (admittedly very open-ended) aspirations. If content has been thin on the ground over the past couple of months, a number of factors have been at play -- some of them pertinent to the current discourse, some not so much.

As the fearful grippe that has wracked the world economy continues, this writer's ability to put bread on the table and broad in the band has proved both onerous and time-consuming. A more regular service is promised and one which will utilise my current area of (paid) working research; with a far greater focus on the macro-economic and geopolitical picture envisaged.

But the fall-off in content production here at Croppy Towers was also the result of rather more existential ruminations; mostly of the 'what the fuck difference does it make?' variety. The answer is of course none and while that might be rather hard for the ego to take, I was genuinely more concerned with whether or not my tired ramblings and pompous prognostications were actually adding anything other than ambient noise to the global clusterfuck we're living through.

Another bank caught laundering money for drug-dealers through its off-shore accounts? Really? A cabal of London bankers meet up to fix the interest rates? You don't say. A leading Tory denies paedophilia? Now there's a turn up for the books....After a while it all gets old...Compassion fatigue? Post righteous indignation trauma? Take your pick, I promise it wasn't writer's block.

So here's to the last two years, we're still all going to hell in a handbasket and most of the world seems happy enough to keep shopping as the end of the road beckons. The road to hell may well be paved with good intentions but most people are too focused on the billboards to notice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...