Skip to main content

Scenes From The Market: Digital Storm-Chasing


Earlier today, the Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, said he would dissolve the Diet (lower house of Japanese Parliament) this Friday;  paving the way for a general election as early as 16 December.

This election could potentially lead to Japan's 7th change of Prime Minister since 2000 and the foreign exchange markets didn't like it one little bit so traders from Boston, Mass to Boston, Lincs.  dumped the yen in serious numbers.

And there it was; just another mundane example of the butterfly effect in full effect. That little flurry was only one of the tiny flutters and palpitations that make up the pulse of the market today and every day.  

As a wire service reporter in this environment,  I have been learning an esoteric new language; one where Fibonacci retracements and doji candlesticks are sought in the graphs of 18th century Japanese rice traders.

The foreign exchange market is often described by über capitalist types as the purest embodiment of the efficient market in action. They might be right (if you go in for perfection in your expressions of haute capitalisme, that is).

To my untutored eye however, this market is more like a weather system and when you spend enough time poring over candlestick graphs looking for 'Elliot Waves' and 'Ichimoku Clouds', you might as well be analysing meteorological data.

In much the same way that weather systems are governed by certain immutable truths (commonly known as the laws of physics) , this market is governed by the certainties of supply and demand.

But then, just as there are multitudinous meteorological variables that make the difference between fog on the Thames or fog on the Tyne,  so it is with the markets. 

The announcement of yet another election in Japan can cause the currency to depreciate dramatically (at least in the short term), yet falling industrial production and industrial unrest in half of Europe did little to stop the euro recovering today  just because some German politician hinted that Greece would be weighed in with a €44bn dose of medicine. It's not always possible to tell where the lightning will strike.

On one level as a reporter, there's something deeply clinical about it all: you wait for the release of data or a geopolitical event occurs or even a natural disaster and then, like some kind lab technician who has just administered his subject with an injection of an experimental substance, you monitor the subject, checking his vital signs; poring over the graphs that show the market's reaction to a hurricane or a balanced budget.  

Then on a good day (one where volatility is high and news feed plentiful), it's like digital storm-chasing; searching for that remorseless vortex at the centre of the storm as it moves across the vast electronic topography. It's binary, impersonal; as random and ordered as the  path of a plague of locusts or a murmuration of starlings.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...