Skip to main content

This (Sponsored) Sporting Life: Olympic Ringpieces


London 2012. It's been great, really it has. From the opening ceremony onwards, this Summer has been a showcase of London at its best (and no, the tourist board didn't pay me to say that).  

But if there was an aspect of the London games that vexed me, it would have to be some of the ill-judged choices in the area of corporate sponsorship.

Now I'm as pragmatic as the next cynical hack and I have precious little time for sanctimonious political correctness. Consequently, because I live in the real world, I accept that a certain amount of shameless plugging and product placement is bound to go on at a global bunfight of the Olympics' magnitude.

However, I would love to hear the conversation and the thought process that Lord Coe and his flunkeys employed when they convinced themselves that McDonalds was the embodiment of healthy living and athletic prowess.

(OK, so Usain Bolt famously consumes large quantities of chicken nuggets but I'd have thought he was very much the exception that proves the rule.)

And while we're on the subject, when did Cadbury's chocolate become such an integral part of an Olympian's dietary needs?

And let's not forget our friends at Dow. As an occasional member of the construction workforce (I even worked on some of the 2012 venues), the navvy Croppy is familiar with Dow Chemicals; their specialist materials are used in the construction of many of the city's major buildings.

But for those of you with longer memories, Dow Chemicals has what might euphemistically be described by turd-polishing PR firms like Bell Pottinger as a 'challenging reputation'. By which of course I mean that they are famously responsible for Napalm and Agent Orange as well as a host of other environmental blasphemies.

Now, as I said, I'm a realist. McDonalds might not always be the healthiest dietary option but nobody can say that they don't spend money sponsoring events and sporting sides in local communities where they are based.

Cadbury's is a respected British brand and Dow's insulations and membranes are probably installed in most of the buildings and structures that made up the vast Olympic infrastructure built for the games in east London. So with a little finessing, one can at least reconcile oneself (if not get on board) with their branding being given the five-ringed benediction.

But in a move that seems about as appropriate as Catholic Church-sponsored childminding, a company which is earning huge fees for a government contract to conduct fitness-to-work interviews was one of the main sponsors of the Paralympic Games. Atos is a French IT outsourcing specialist and it is reported that, including its 'kick-sick-people-off-benefits' gig, it has UK government contracts worth more than £3bn.

I have in the past written about Atos, having had first-hand experience of their truly shabby treatment of ill and vulnerable people. To see their name emblazoned on Olympic and Paralympic branding was a slap in the face to an able bodied person like myself; I could only imagine how someone fighting to keep their disability allowance must have felt.

Protests outside the French company's London headquarters and the Department for Work and Pensions by disability campaigners at the end of August received little mainstream media coverage. This, of course, is hardly surprising. Here is a search for recent news on Atos if you'd like to see for yourself what a bunch of thoroughly bad eggs they are.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...