Skip to main content

Billiard Balls


Harry Wales...don't you just love/hate him (delete as appropriate)?

Certainly, it's been fun watching the mainstream British media trying to gauge public opinion as they trotted out their 'Glenda Slagg'-style op-ed pieces on the merry japes of the turd (pardon me, third) in line for the throne.

Self-righteous fulmination was the general mood (at least initially) with even The Guardian demanding that the young prince be stripped of his royal title á la Sarah Ferguson.  What utter foolishness.

The British public apparently want to have it both ways. On the one hand, they want their Royals to be less distant and more down-to-earth and yet when they get their wish and the Queen's grandson behaves like many young of men of twenty on a week in Ayia Napa, the collective dummy is duly spat.

Of course, it's a little more nuanced than that: the average blue collar response has largely been one of indifference; if the prince wants to play saucy party games 'in the altogether', then good luck to him. A loud and sanctimonious middle class however has been less forgiving of these kind of shenanigans. But it's probably best to just let them carry on spluttering their toast into their Daily Mails and Telegraphs; after all, a butt-nekkid Harry is just another outraged harrumph in their Groundhog day of self-righteous indignation.

Besides, if the great British public insists on selecting its head of state from a small pool of over-bred, under-worked and congenitally feckless aristocrats, solely on the basis of their putative relationship with a thousand-year-dead fat Norman (known to the British as The Conqueror but elsewhere dubbed William the Bastard), then that decision should be respected as the will of a nation, which it undoubtedly is.

And if the younger sons and those of lesser primogeniture within the family prove indiscreet, this -- I would have thought -- is the rough to be taken with the smooth of pomp and ceremony. Besides, young Royals behaving badly is hardly life-changing news is it? This looks pretty much like business as usual at the top table.  The British aristocracy has been carrying on like this at least since the change of management brought on by the Battle of Hastings.

I'm no David Starkey (ie. fawning royal sycophant/historian with suspect racial views)  but off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that the widely reported extracurricular activities of Charles II, the Regent George, Edward VII (when he was Prince of Wales) and more recently, good old Randy Andy -- to name but a few --don't exactly cover the British Royals with glory.

The whole affair took a another turn later in the week. The Sun -- at least on the evidence of reportage in other sections of the national media -- seems to have sorely misjudged the national mood in its decision to print 'those pictures' that had already appeared on TMZ.  

The Sun's reasoning for going back on its agreement to adhere to the Press Complaints Commission (PCC)'s code of conduct in relation to photos taken on private property was that the royal family was trying to "muzzle the world's most vibrant newspaper". Furthermore the Sun went on to tell  us that there was a "clear public interest" for publication.

Pictures of the idle rich and their naked frolics are not, it would appear, about unseemly  and envious voyeurism, they are rather a springboard for a "legitimate public debate about the behaviour of the man who is third in line to the throne". That's all right then...Only apparently it wasn't, because the PCC received in excess of 850 complaints about the Sun's decision to publish.

The rest of the press is doubtless hoping that this misjudgement opens a new chapter in the decline of News International's fortunes in Britain and commentators have since been been queuing up to wonder about what Lord Leveson and his ongoing Inquiry into the culture, practice and ethics of the UK press will make of all this. Is this just further evidence of Fleet Street's inability to regulate itself?

A bizarre corollary of this Ginger Nut Circus is the topsy-turvy state of affairs it creates where PR éminence grise Max Clifford is able to present himself as a guardian of both the moral high-ground and royal modesty.  

Clifford told reporters that he had been called by women in the US on Thursday who were looking to sell what they claimed was photos and video footage. "They said they have very interesting material and was I the same person who represented Simon Cowell and would I represent them? I said 'no'. There was a silence. I said I don't think it's right. It's an invasion of privacy," Clifford said.

So we're then left to wonder whether Max knows if there's strip billiards clip or picture out there of Harry sinking the pink...


This article also appears on US website The Good Men Project



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...