Skip to main content

Growing Up or Selling Out?


“Now every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world, Ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl....” The Clash,  Death or Glory

It was another one of those ‘hand of history’ moments for the ‘Wee Pravince’ of Norn Iron. Former Derry Apprentice Butcher Boy Martin McGunless (excuse me, McGuinness) shook hands with an elderly Anglo German lady called Betty Windsor and her husband Phil the Bubble (Translation for my non-cockney bredrin and those who've never seen a London gangster movie: rhyming slang; bubble and squeak: Greek).

Ordinarily, the meeting of a provincial politician (once famously described by Steve Coogan as looking like a clown without his make-up) and the putative and unelected head of state of a small third rate power on the far -flung European periphery would be an unremarkable event.

This brief encounter however had the added frisson of the politician in question being a former commander in a notorious paramilitary organisation when it planned and carried out the assassination of the Head of State’s cousin some 30 odd years ago.

Of course, for the great British public (at least those who even feigned interest), this meeting was fraught with all sorts of difficulties. Prima facie, the Queen has taken a courageous symbolic step that recognises the political realities of life in Ireland in both jurisdictions.

Her own family’s real and tragic connection with the Irish Troubles has ensured this meeting and her visit to the Irish Free State (does it really deserve to call itself a Republic? I’m not so sure) in May 2011 are among the biggest steps forward in Anglo-Irish relations in half a century.

Not that the great British public would be aware of this. For in truth, the British have, over the course of the Troubles, been poorly served by their media which made little effort to explain the conflict in Ireland or its origins. To do so as responsible journalists would have been to admit the huge part played by the British politicians of successive governments in creating a dirty little bigoted secret right here amongst the home nations.

It was much easier to portray Republicans as the current affairs version of a pantomime villain and that was the image of the Irish Republican that the British public had little choice but to accept as orthodoxy. Therefore, many in Britain will understandably view today’s meeting between a former guerrilla commander and their head of state with a mix of emotions running from exasperation to opprobrium.

Opinions are of course similar to ring-pieces in that we’ve all got one.  While I believe that everyone is entitled to their point of view, I am loath to respect the outlooks of people who know nothing of the subject about which they hold such forthright views.

The British opinion-forming elite seems to be full of the kind of people who unthinkingly bleat ‘No surrender to the IRA’ and are also generally the kind of people who could tell you precisely fuck all about the half century of apartheid that preceded three decades of dirty war in their next door neighbour’s back yard.

Then we have southern Ireland where the tyranny of mediocrity in the established bourgeois media means that mock horror and indignation at the prospect of a Sinn Féin leader meeting the Queen is still the order of the day.

This, despite the fact that Mr McGuinness wasn’t just a Presidential candidate in the recent Mexican elections (south of the Border, down Mexico way), he was one of the few credible contenders for the job.

The reason for this hatred of McGuinness and the northern leadership of the Republican movement is fear, plain and simple and probably not without some justification.  Sinn Féin are hugely problematic for the southern establishment. The history of the would-be Republic, since its bloody inception, has been a political and military struggle against the forces of Republicanism who, to this day, remain opposed to the partitionist settlement for Ireland.  

Much to the distaste of the self-appointed Dublin elites, Sinn Féin continues to gather strength and build political nous in the south while it is already in government in the north. Watching the former Derry OC of the IRA shaking hands with the Queen of England in Belfast is a none too edifying proposition for the majority of the plain people of Ireland.

It seems that  Sinn Féin  can’t do right for doing wrong. On one hand, they are being castigated by the Irish media for refusing to meet the Queen in May 2011, on the other they are being decried as hypocrites for shaking her hand in June 2012. So which is it folks?  But then, hypocrisy, inaccuracy and double-think are hallmarks of the media on both sides of the Irish Sea so they should probably be expert in recognising it.

But the truth is that Martin McGuinness, in the final analysis, probably cares very little what the ignorant British or the self-serving Southern Irish publics think of ‘that handshake’. Sinn Féin  is much more interested in how this plays in the Six Counties.

Their own rank and file will by and large swallow their misgivings and polish this turd as a positive move (which it unquestionably is). The dissident republicans will predictably spin this as further evidence of the great Sinn Féin sell-out. Moderate middle-class nationalists who would have voted SDLP if it had remained viable and credible will sourly acknowledge the move’s symbolism while bitterly wondering what the hell happened to their party.

Loyalism will view the move with a mixture of intense suspicion and grudging realpolitik admiration while middle-class unionism will continue to voice mistrust and like the SDLP, wonder when exactly it was that they ceased being even remotely relevant to the future of any part of Ireland.

Perhaps what today’s handshake really shows is that the only political players on either side of the Irish Sea who are genuinely prepared to take risks for the future harmony of these two islands are a nice old German lady and a Derry apprentice boy....

Comments

  1. Great stuff Croppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Watching the former Derry OC of the IRA shaking hands with the Queen of England in Belfast is a none too edifying proposition for the majority of the plain people of Ireland "

    Way wide of the mark there - you appear to think that mainstream media in Ireland speaks for the people.
    Martin McGuinness did well in the Presidential election and Gerry Adams topped the poll in a General election is his constituency in the Republic.The vast majority of people in the Republic - or what you refer to as "Suvven Ayland" - support the Re-unification of our country although the mainstream media will try to convince you otherwise.
    Your sneering jibe "her visit to the Irish Free State (does it really deserve to call itself a Republic? )" is truly pathetic.

    "I am loath to respect the outlooks of people who know nothing of the subject about which they hold such forthright views " - Deptford Croppy.

    Look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post but I disagree with your analysis Anon. While the media undoubtedly has its own agenda Re. Sinn Féin, there are large sections of the Irish population who don't share your view because, with all due respect, if the majority did find McGuinness acceptable, then surely he'd be the President? A lot of people I'll grant you did vote for him but I stand by my statement on the basis of exercised franchise. As to the vast majority of the people of the South supporting reunification...one doesn't need to get too granular in one's analysis to realise that most people in the south would seriously balk at the scale of what reunification would entail both logistically and economically so on that basis I'd call your assertion into question. And as for my 'sneering jibe' about the Free State, I happen to object procedurally to the unilateral way in which this 'Republic' was declared in 1948 or 49 so while I understand you anger, I know you will still respect my right to my own analysis.
    As to whether I know nothing of the subjects I address, again, you opinion will be respected here but I would say that while you may think that, I can only assure you that I have read extensively on the subject and interviewed individuals across all the majority of organisations and institutions involved. As other postings highlight, I have also experienced firsthand some instances of the violence that blighted our society over the course of the Troubles so if you feel I know nothing about subject I can only say that we must agree to differ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How often do you think Royalty should visit Ireland?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...