Skip to main content

Funny old game


The so-called beautiful game has been having a torrid old time of it over the past few weeks.

Barnes and the Banana: we've come 
a long way  since these days...haven't we?
The festering sore of racism continues to dog football and the unedifying behaviour of Liverpool’s Suarez in the recent cup tie with Manchester United and the club’s subsequent failure to display anything approaching joined up thinking on the matter is bringing into serious disrepute one of the great European club sides.

Liverpool seems happy enough to make an example of bigots on the terrace but the club seems rather less surefooted when it comes to the censure of its multi-million pound mary-boys and their unreconstructed views on race relations. As for Chelsea’s John Terry...

But just in case you thought this was just an issue on the terraces or in the dressing room, the shame of the game’s establishment is further evidenced by the paucity of black managers in the Premiership. Black footballers are apparently good enough to be demographically over-represented in the playing ranks but it would appear that they lack the ability to read the game strategically or to man-manage. (Don’t even get me started on the Asian players – that’s right, what Asian players?)

And let’s not forget BBC commentator Alan Hansen’s pronouncements on ‘coloured’ players. Jesus H Christ, when did we go back to 1970s South African terminology to describe black footballers? And still every Saturday and Sunday, this intellectually challenged fuckwit graces the Match of the Day sofa with the same sense of smug entitlement that is almost a trademark of the BBC.

Racism is sadly only one of the fatal structural flaws of the game here in the UK. Tottenham Hotspur’s manager (and current favourite for the poison chalice that is ‘Eng-er-land’ manager) Harry Redknapp has just beaten the rap on a tax evasion charge associated with his period at Pompey’s helm. (Having covered British ‘justice’ down the years, in the form of the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four, I have of course every confidence the right decision was reached in this case...)

But it’s not all bad news (at least if you’re a Celtic fan or a member of global financial advisory and investment banking firm, Duff & Phelps).  Rangers – who have been docked 10 points by the Scottish Premier League and currently sit 14 points behind Celtic – are awaiting the verdict of a tax tribunal which could see them owing the taxman as much as £75m.

Earlier this week Paul Clark and David Whitehouse, of Duff and Phelps, said: “We can report we have made very good progress within the first 24 hours of being appointed administrators over Rangers Football Club.”

What can it all mean? Will we never again hear the heart-warming strains of ‘The Billy Boys’ echoing around the Ibrox? It would surely be a real shame if they were never again to be up to their knees in Fenian blood (as opposed to just being up to their necks in debt). But apparently, "supporters can be reassured that Rangers will continue as a football club and we hope to reach a stage as soon as possible where the Club can emerge from administration."

The fallout from Rangers’ demise may yet be far-reaching. Global management consulting firm AT Kearney are playing Cassandra here. Emmanuel Hembert, one its principals posits that "this dramatic development with Rangers highlights the fact that the beautiful game may be on the verge of a systemic crisis."

Certainly, football in the UK has all the hallmarks of a bubble on the point of bursting. The recent January transfer window seems to confirm this as spending was down and even for the majority of big clubs it seems cash is available in only limited proportion. 

"In the A.T. Kearney EU Football Sustainability Study  conducted in 2010, we warned of the similarities between football and banking asking whether football was too popular to fail. The financial woes of Rangers seem to confirm they mirror in many ways," said Hembert.  "The question is now: is Rangers the Lehman Brothers of football?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...