Skip to main content

Just an average banking conversation....


After ten minutes of hold music and being reminded that the bank was recording the conversation....

Wanker Banker: Hello Soapytitwank Banking and Mortgage Solutions, can I help you? [Bank name changed to protect the guilty party]

Deptford Croppy: Hello, I’d like to know why staff at two branches of your bank told me last week that my direct debit mortgage payment went through; yet you then sent me a letter explaining that my payment had not been received and that you were charging me for the failed payment.  

Wanker Banker: Ah yes sir, that’s because there were insufficient funds to cover the transaction, you had reached your overdraft limit.

Deptford Croppy: OK....that still doesn’t really answer my question. Why was I told that the payment went through?

Wanker Banker: I’m sorry sir, I can’t answer that but your payment failed because you had reached your overdraft limit.

Deptford Croppy: But I have a statement here in front of me that clearly shows that you have regularly allowed an unauthorised overdraft on my account well beyond that agreed limit when direct debits were due. I mean surely, when my mortgage and my current account are with the same bank, that shouldn’t be a problem should it? You are both from Soapytitwank aren’t you?

Wanker Banker: Yes sir we are, but retail and mortgage at Soapytitwank are separate entities....

Deptford Croppy: You mean like the Holy Trinity?

Wanker Banker: Excuse me sir?

Deptford Croppy: You know, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost...is that how it works at Soapytitwank?

Wanker Banker: ........

Deptford Croppy: Would it be fair to say that you’ve noticed a pattern of late payments and now you’re trying to make me default?

Wanker Banker: I’m sorry sir, we don’t have a policy of making customers default—

Deptford Croppy: You mean you’re different to the other banks I’ve researched who target struggling customers and pressurise them into defaults or costly refinancing? As we’re on the subject of banking integrity,  I noticed Soapytitwank made a  significant ‘goodwill payment’ to me a couple of months ago...In my experience goodwill payments are usually made as hush money in the hope that the recipient will not pursue more costly and profitable legal action against the bank. Why exactly was that payment made and bear in mind, I’m asking as a customer and as a journalist, so you are on the record...

Wanker Banker: Are you calling as a customer or as a journalist sir?

Deptford Croppy: I’m calling as both, I am both ‘entities’. Unlike your good self, when I call the bank,  I choose not to distinguish between Croppy the customer and Croppy the journalist....I was reminded at the start of the conversation that Soapytitwank would be recording our conversation, well, so am I...

Wanker Banker:  Would you please hold sir.....[Followed by another ten minutes of Vivaldi....] Hello sir, I can give you the information you require as a customer but I have been instructed to tell you that I am not authorised to give interviews to reporters....

Deptford Croppy: So I can have the information once I tell you I’m a customer but you can’t give it to me if I, as a customer, say I’m a journalist by trade...It’s okay mate, I think you’ve told me enough....When you go to work, do you get there on a tiny bicycle wearing a red nose and big floppy shoes?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...