Skip to main content

Cashing in on the protest dollar?



Village life goes on tonight at the Occupy London camp in Finsbury Square much as it would in any sleepy English hamlet.
Old Holborn: Jacobite
or agent provocateur?
 

The local cafe is a focal point where residents gather and gossip over their teas and coffees. There’s a labour exchange, a newspaper, a housing committee and last night, there was even a celebrity guest giving a talk just down the lane in Sun Street.

Self-styled ‘old time alternative comedian’ Mark Thomas was preaching to the converted at the Bank of Ideas: itself a public repossession of an abandoned office block formerly belonging to UBS bank.

Now, some people might view the Mark Thomas talk as a cynical ploy to sell his most recent published offering ‘Extreme Rambling’. The protest dollar is, after all, the mainstay of the Thomas demographic.

Certainly, the delightfully contrarian blogger Old Holborn was happy to take a pop at the grand old man of situationism-lite. His opening shots went a little like this: “I notice Mark ‘I earn £100K a year’ Thomas is going to talk about poverty today at Occupy London. I'm already laughing”.

A further Twitter exchange gives a flavour of Old Holborn’s sparky banter. When Thomas tweeted in his endearingly self-deprecating way that he would be “showing off at the Bank of Ideas”, Old Holborn enquired, “will you be selling your new book there?” Thomas responded that he had no plans to do so.  Thomas nevertheless did read several excerpts from said tome.

I’ve always been a fan of Thomas; in fact, I’d never have blagged my way into an arms fair had it not been for the inspirational chutzpah of the south London activist and comic. But even Thomas himself would agree that orthodoxy should be questioned, however well-intentioned it is; precisely because it has become received wisdom. 

Thomas: pushing product or lending support?
That’s where Old Holborn comes in. His line of attack is that “crusties and social misfits” have taken over the Occupy London movement for their own agendas and turned it into an anti Capitalism campaign as opposed to the Occupy movement, which he maintains is against Corporate Greed and his self-appointed aim is to oppose this hijacking.

Thomas would probably be a supporter of the Occupy movement whether or not he had a book to promote and besides, as someone in the Twittersphere not unreasonably pointed out, the contrarian Old Holborn is a self-professed libertarian and champion of free enterprise.

Even in the midst of high-minded internationalist idealism you have the would-be profiteers and the seething begrudgers....All the world’s a village and parish pump politics never change. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...