Skip to main content

Kitten Heels and Hush Puppies....


Theresa May’s pussy really got Ken Clarke’s blood up today at the Tory party conference in Manchester.
"Sure I'll get you asylum, but
what's in it for me and Officer Dibble?"
 

Once the Home Secretary let said feline out of her elegantly tooled hold-all as some kind of ham-fisted play to the cheap seats, she should have been on notice that her speech had raised the hackles of a big cantankerous beast. 


Tales of scrounging illegal freeloaders being given leave to stay in the good old gullible UK on the improbable basis that cat ownership had somehow conferred upon them human rights (or something), were rightly derided by Clarke. Whatever the prosaic truth of Maya the cat (if indeed that is its real name) and its persuasive mitigation on its owner's behalf; its personification by May as a repository of human rights ridicule did little to advance the debate in any enlightened way. 

And to be fair to old Hush Puppies, he gave one of the most eloquent defences of the Human Rights Act and the Strasbourg Convention that gives it its provenance that one is ever likely to hear at a Conservative Conference (it probably wouldn’t even have sounded too outré coming from the hustings at the Lib-Dem or Labour conferences either for that matter).

And that’s perhaps why you have Clarke front and centre at the conference; he’ll turn in the kind of performance that reminds one why he was a force to be reckoned with and why he probably still is; even if these days, he is more likely to be described as “the sixth Liberal Cabinet minister”. 

All good  show-boating stuff for the Conference faithful. May and her vapid tabloid generalisations might play well to innate prejudice but these days, even Tories are rather less comfortable about being caught laughing at stereotypes, at least on camera.

So while Clarke’s gallant and eloquent defence of the Human Rights Act was ultimately just a piece of good old-fashioned speechifying in defence of a grand cause (we have so few these days) and tempered with a bit political side-swiping, the lofty principles evaporate on closer scrutiny. Clarke’s fondness for civil liberty as a rhetorical stage prop is rather at odds with his scorched earth approach to legal aid funding.

Mee-ow?
Since Clarke announced £350m of cuts to the £2.1bn Legal Aid budget for England and Wales on 21 June this year, the former barrister has faced persistent allegations of ignoring the concerns of practitioners and civil liberties campaigners alike.

Peter Lodder QC, chairman of the Bar Council which represents barristers, told The Guardian at the time: "The government has failed to listen to the views expressed by many in the judiciary, the legal profession and voluntary organisations in formulating its proposals on legal aid. Legal aid will be withdrawn from whole swaths of areas of law and access to justice will be systematically deprived."

Even a body as conservative as The Law Society recognises the right to legal representation as a “fundamental principle of a civilised society and is a cornerstone of our way of life”. In response to Clarke's Conference address today, Law Society chief executive Desmond Hudson tried a slightly more conciliatory tone: “We agree with Ken Clarke that there is scope for savings in the justice budget and that excessive expenditure should be tackled but the cuts he is proposing to legal aid are a mistake and will we fear cost more in the long run than they will save.”


Any working solicitors we spoke to however were rather less conciliatory and were apt to wonder whether the helpful Mr Hudson would be leading from the front and taking a pay-cut; seeing as he's so happy to volunteer his straitened membership for further savings in the justice budget and all. 


Clarke: England and Wales has 
“much the most expensive legal aid system in the world"

Hudson does make at least one fair point and that refrain of 'it’ll cost more in the long run' has been coming consistently from all quarters of the legal system. Director of Legal Action Group (LAG) Steve Hynes, thought Clarke’s proposals were "penny wise, but pound foolish". He told The Guardian (again on 21 June): "The bulk of them fall on the sort of face-to-face advice services which can deal with legal problems before they spiral out of control into costly court cases. The proposed cuts will mainly hit ordinary members of the public seeking help with common civil legal problems."

The last word goes to Shami Chakrabarti, the director of Liberty whose comments in response to Clarke's announcement in June remain pertinent: "Is it right that only criminal defendants and professional footballers should get legal advice? Politicians wag their fingers at 'fat cat lawyers' but today's slap in the face goes to ordinary families, children and the disabled."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...