Skip to main content

Are books the new vinyl?

I’m old enough to fondly remember people telling me that CDs would never catch on; atmospheric, scratchy vinyl would always trump the soulless digital recording they said. We still have vinyl of course but nowadays, it is very much the preserve of DJs and collectors. Like its replacement the CD, it has ceased to be the utilitarian way of accessing recorded material.

Fond as I am of books, I rather fear that they are going the same way as the LP and perhaps that might not be such a bad thing. Accessing the written word nowadays is increasingly done through the medium of a screen and the proliferation of devices like Apple’s iPad and Amazon’s Kindle in recent years suggest that the business of the written word has reached a crossroads. The news yesterday that Google had extended its 'eBookstore' service to users in the UK, following its launch in the US late in 2010, only underlines the growth potential of this market.

As an unpublished novelist, I have been watching these developments with a vested interest. After eighteen months of dispiritedly hawking manuscripts around Bloomsbury and Soho in return for misspelt rejection letters, I started wondering why I needed an agent or even a publisher.


Even if I was able to find the Tarquin or Hermione who’d represent my work, what was I actually getting for their fat parasitic percentage? They might have a boozy shmoozy lunch with a publishing chum and maybe at the end of it, I’d get a publishing deal (along with the bill for lunch) and precious little else. The help I would really need; with marketing and publicity would just not be forthcoming.

The publishing industry is still locked into a production cycle that requires raw materials, manufacturing processes and logistical networks. As a consequence, it’s a business that is risk averse. Outlay on a print run is too great for betting on literary longshots or curate’s eggs. It tends to stick with what it knows:  celebrities, rigid genres and already published writers.

When I spoke to other struggling authors, I realised just how a big a problem this had become. Over and over I was exhorted to look at the e-publishing route and when I did, it started to make a lot of sense. If I choose to, I can publish my novel electronically for Kindle and sell it on Amazon.  The do-it-yourself punk ethic of this approach is very attractive.

When the first independently produced e-novel does break through and sell a million copies, the writing may well be on the wall for the traditional publishing model. Well, we can only hope...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...