Skip to main content

Marketballs: Gilt, fear and greed

A couple of weeks ago, TRWS advised punters that gold was the best place for their money (if indeed they had any).
Run bear, run! 

This advice is apparently proving more and more prescient with every passing hour. Yesterday, both the Dow Jones and the FTSE indices tanked spectacularly, the Eurozone continued to spread panic and lose credibility. Overnight, the stock markets of Asia also started tanking and this morning, it’s ground hog day; when the markets opened in London, the FTSE lost more than 3% in six minutes. Spain and Italy are rallying but late morning trading suggests that the FTSE is still down around 2.2%.

Some of these Billy-Big-Balls city boys really do seem to be behaving as if their trading floors are being attacked by gangs of blood-thirsty grizzlies. Well, I can only hope.

There’s plenty of bad news to feed this already bowel-loosening market sentiment. This afternoon, we’ve the US government jobs figures to look forward to. While a rise of 85,000 jobs in July is expected, the unemployment rate is likely to remain rooted at 9.2%. June’s figures were no walk in the park either with only 18,000 'non-farm' jobs being created.

In other heart-warming market stories, the nice people at Standard & Poor have just affirmed their BBB+ rating of Ireland; just three steps from  junk status.

If you like a lot of schaden with your freude, you might be edified to hear that RBS is in trouble. After posting pre-tax losses of £794m in the six months to the end of June (compare that with £1.1bn profit in the same period last year), the bank's shares plunged 14% to 26.05p in early trading this morning. That’s a far cry from the heady days of Fred the Shred’s reign when it was riding high at 602.6p just before everything went tits up in 2007.

And that’s where a lot of people are looking in their search for meaning in all the current chaos; back to the initial credit crunch in 2007. Analysts and economists seem to be torn between  wondering whether this crash is the same as the ’07 model or is it actually a new variation in the cycle. All of it; utter bunkum.

One thing these crashes or ‘market corrections’ always illustrate is that despite all the information and forecasting at their fingertips these overpaid, overstuffed shirts and empty suits never cease to be surprised by the seriousness of the situation.

The time-honoured platitudes these analysts trot out only underline the emperor’s new clothes reality of the situation. In fact, I seem to recall some of these of lines being used before, when I was watching a documentary on the History Channel about the Wall Street  Crash.

One analyst told the Daily Telegraph this morning; “While the headline market numbers are alarming, we should all take a deep breath and remember that the fundamentals are much better than 2008; banks are stronger, companies are generally in good shape, and traders are less heavily leveraged.”  Take out the dates and that speech could almost have been made by US President Herbert Hoover in October 1929 when he was trying to calm the herd....

Gold is trading in the 1660s ($/oz) and a lot of people see it reaching $2000 before year end. I’m not so sure but over the fortnight since I last cast a greedy eye over my trove of sovereigns, Claddaghs and heavy neck chains, the price has already risen by more than fiddy bucks...But don’t worry, I’d never sell all the tomfoolery Mammy Croppy gave me before I left dear old Oireland. 


++Mid afternoon update++: UK markets starting to rally on less than impressive but still climbing US jobs figures (117,000 jobs created, unemployment down to 9.1%) which seem to suggest 'recession averted' for now but volatility is not going away just yet. The world markets wait for US opening trends; bounce expected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...