Skip to main content

London's burning: the view from Lewisham

Civil unrest can be a very difficult subject to cover as a journalist. Too far away and you may as well be watching it on television; too close and you end up being one of the grisly screen-grabs for the ten o’clock news.

There’ve only been a couple of times in my working life that I’ve been genuinely frightened. Covering a Bloody Sunday March years ago here in London, we were attacked by Combat 18 supporters: that was one. I was in real danger of a hiding that afternoon. The other was being lowered 40m into a Belfast sewer shaft in a steel cage on the end of a crane cable (but then I do have vertigo).

But tonight, we had a winner. I’d heard reports of rioting in Lewisham so I determined to walk down and see for myself just how bad things were. My wife had warned me against it and Christ knows, I wish I’d heeded her.

Round about 6.15pm, I got as far as the turn off for Ladywell Road on Lewisham High Road when I saw the first incident. Over at the swimming pool, a bus with its windscreen put through had been beset by a mob which was dragging a young man out into the street, beating him with makeshift clubs and kicking him down. The high road up by the firestation was barricaded with dumpsters and there wasn’t a policeman in sight. But that didn’t stop every group of young black males that passed giving me the five-oh look.  

At that stage, I decided to leave. As I walked back, a tall heavy-set black youth wearing a camouflage scarf over his face and brandishing a fencing post started shouting ‘Police!’and pointing at me. Jesus Christ, that’s all I needed. I had decided to leave precisely because I was afraid this would happen. Trying to defuse the situation, I went straight over all smiles and started remonstrating with him: ’No mate, not police, Irish—‘ I had the wind knocked suddenly out of me by someone jumping me behind, I hit the deck stunned with two feet on my back. A hand came down and ripped the chains from around my neck.

I got off the deck and went straight after the thief but immediately, I was surrounded by youths with clubs and others hinting at ominously by tapping the waistbands of their sweats for my benefit. ‘Wrong move Paddy, walk away.’ As I staggered away, I could see another man across the street taking an unmerciful beating outside a barber shop.


I wouldn't for a minute wish to be misconstrued as suggesting this disturbance was race-related; it just so happened that in my snap shot, the vast majority of youths in the area were black. A different demographic picture would doubtless emerge in different areas affected by disorder.

I got my Irish ass home sharpish after that. My wife and I drove through Catford about an hour later and the looting had spread. It was bedlam. All the usual suspects had been hit, your JD Sports and your Argos as well as Blockbuster and Lidl. (Lidl!)

Looters brazenly walked about with flat screen TVs and laptops. Addidas boxes and discarded trainers littered the street. Youths on scooters sped along the pavements and still not a police man to be seen.

About twenty minutes later, we drove back through Catford and the riot police had arrived. The next inevitable phase; conflict with the police had yet to begin. Before I started writing this piece two youths raced passed my window carrying Toshiba laptops.

Tonight there is rioting all over London, this was a just a little snap shot. Most people I’ve spoken to today think there’s more to come.

Oh, it took me nearly half an hour to get through to emergency services, I guess they were experiencing an unusually high volume of calls...


This article also appears in The Sabotage Times

Comments

  1. Jesus man, I hope you're allright...

    Iago

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Iago, your concern is acknowledged and thankfully misplaced; a little shaken and stirred but I expect I'll keep on trucking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...