Skip to main content

Deptford beats the bookies (again)

After a week of grim tidings up and down the country, it was heartening to receive an email that actually had some good news about that little piece of London that stole my heart and never gave it back.

In April 2011, TRWS ran a brief story about Betfred’s failure to get planning use altered from building society only to include betting shops in a vacant high street premises. Just what Deptford needed; yet another turf accountant on the high street. Sanity prevailed and the bookies were turned down.

But that wasn’t the end of the affair. When it came to taking the matter further, Betfred were as good as their word. They appealed to the Planning Inspectorate.

Sue Lawes has campaigned passionately against Betfred’s plans and it was a real pleasure to open her email this evening; informing TRWS that the bookmaker’s Deptford planning appeal had failed on 16 August.

The whole story has already been well-covered by several blogs in the locale so I’ll not go into too much detail, save to observe that the prospect of anti-social behaviour generated by another bookie office seems to have played a strong role in the failure of the bookmaker’s appeal. 

Perhaps in the grand scheme of things, this story of local opposition triumphing against corporate interests doesn’t add up to much but in these less than happy times, any victory for the little guy is to be savoured. (That said, given the financial purpose of the unit, one can't help wondering what kind of 'sub-prime' financial services provider is likely to fill the vacancy left after scuppering the bookies.)


If you want read more on the story, the redoubtable Sue Lawes provided these links:
For more Deptfordian goings-on, check out Crosswhatfields



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...