Skip to main content

Two degrees of separation between a murdered private eye and a mendacious Prime Minister?


It really does read like the plot of a noir conspiracy thriller.
Private Eye: Daniel Morgan 

It all started back in 1987 with the grisly murder of a South London private investigator. Daniel Morgan was found in the car-park of the Golden Lion public house in Sydenham with an axe embedded in his face. The professionalism of the murder (the axe handle had been covered with elastoplast to hinder fingerprint recovery) bore the almost unmistakable hallmarks of a contract killing.

Thereafter, it is a tale of botched investigations, police corruption and institutional mendacity that has rumbled through the decades before finally erupting on Number 10’s doorstep this summer. And we’re not talking six degrees of separation either; to all intents and purposes, there is only one name between the Prime Minister and the man suspected of  murdering Daniel Morgan.

The chain is short and sweet like a donkey’s trot. Daniel Morgan’s business partner in Southern Investigations was Jonathan Rees. Jonathan Rees was the prime suspect in Morgan’s murder and from 1993 until he was jailed in 2000 for conspiring to plant cocaine on a mother during a custody battle, Rees worked as an investigator for the Murdoch-owned tabloid .  

Rees was rehired by NOTW editor Andy Coulson after his release from prison in 2005. "No one pays like the News of the World do," is reportedly how Rees fondly summed up his employer in conversations recorded during the covert police investigation conducted in 1999 which led to his incarceration.

In spite of his prison sentence for attempting to frame an innocent mother (or perhaps because of it?) and in spite of the Guardian's long exposé of his illegal activities on behalf of the Murdoch red-top, Rees was back in business with Coulson signing off his retainer. He continued to retain Rees until April 2008 when the investigator was finally charged with conspiring to murder his former business partner.

Two years later, and still utterly oblivious (allegedly) to the activities occurring on his watch, Andy Coulson resigned from editorship of the News Of The Screws over the phone-hacking scandal only to find himself working for David Cameron within six months, first as a Tory media apparatchik and then as Her Majesty’s Goverment’s spin doctor. It has also transpired that since Coulson's resignation from that role, he has still been received by Cameron at Chequers.

Last March, Rees was cleared of Morgan’s murder.  His brothers-in-law, Glenn and Garry Vian also beat the rap.  Another bit-part player, Jimmy Cook, had already been cleared at an earlier hearing.

There was a fifth member of this enterprise that also avoided conviction. Sid Fillery, a former police detective from Catford, who moonlighted at Southern Investigations, was cleared at an earlier hearing of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Mr Fillery had also avoided jail in 2003 after admitting to downloading child pornography from the internet. (It's been reported that a year after Morgan's killing, Fillery left the Met on medical grounds and took the dead man's place as a partner at Southern Investigations.)
Jonathan Rees and Sid Fillery

It seems that this attempt to bring Morgan’s killers to justice had been sunk by the testimony of unreliable ‘supergrass’ witnesses.

According to the Guardian, which has provided consistent coverage of both Morgan’s murder investigation and the whole Hackergate fiasco; “Morgan's brother Alastair and his elderly mother believed, with credible evidence to draw on, that he was killed because he was about to expose a network of corrupt police who were involved in widespread criminality and used Southern Investigations as a conduit for drugs and money. Morgan's business partner, Jonathan Rees, counted many officers as friends. One of his specialities was to use his "friends" in the force to provide information which he sold to tabloid newspapers.”

I guess the higher up the food chain Rees got, the more reasons there were to protect him...


This piece was re-published on 23 July 2011 by The Sabotage Times. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...