Skip to main content

BSkyB really was the limit...

“News Corporation  announces that it no longer intends to make an offer for the entire issued and to be issued share capital of British Sky Broadcasting Group not already owned by it.” This according to a press release from Murdoch Towers.

Shelving the BSkyB deal was in the end, the only option for Murdoch and co. After all, they’re going to need all the money they have just keep damage limitation ticking over.

Coulson has been left twisting in the breeze by his old chum Dave. The Tory leader showed some sense of self preservation as he pulled up the ladder and left the hacks to paddle their own canoe.

Cameron in turn has been outmanoeuvred by Miliband and forced to back a Labour motion in parliament once he saw the stormy clouds of public opinion bearing down on his cosy little garden party. He has had to give in to demands for a judge-led inquiry and been forced to admit that his own relationships with these people has been, at best , inappropriate.  

The prolonged public implosion of News Corp continued with the revelation that News International's legal manager Tom Crone has left the company after 26 years on the payroll. It’s still not clear whether he jumped or was pushed.

And Stateside, the mood grows ever more restive.

Senator Jay Rockefeller, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee was happy enough to talk up a fight and push the hot buttons. 
  
"The reported hacking by News Corporation newspapers against a range of individuals - including children - is offensive and a serious breach of journalistic ethics... I am concerned that the admitted phone hacking in London by the News Corp. may have extended to 9/11 victims or other Americans. If they did, the consequences will be severe," he told The Daily Telegraph.

Rockefeller’s pronouncements added to growing pressure on the US Senate and House of Representatives to investigate the parent company of News International and hold “thorough public hearings” on whether the voicemails of Americans had been intercepted.


Here's what we thought about the BSkyB affair back in March 2011. 



Comments

  1. weird, I always thought "restive" meant exactly the opposite! you learn something new every day etc... great stuff Sir xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta very much hen! Must admit tho', am perhaps enjoying the Digger's dilemma just a little bit too much...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...