Skip to main content

A Ballad of Rural Savagery

The following ballad was written by Martin Scanlon, formerly a resident of Tellaghawn Duff in North Mayo. Sadly, Martin died several years ago in 2000 but in life, he was well known by his neighbours for his sharp eye, his sharper tongue and his unhealthy preoccupation with books.
This poem was written as a satire on his neighbours who took part in a savage attack on another local man who’d returned home after retiring from the British Army. The incident described in this poem took place on the same stretch of coastline where the fictitious (but equally lawless) ‘Playboy of the Western World’ was set just a few years earlier.

After Martin's death, this poem was found among his papers.

This is a ballad that was meant to be performed and listened to, rather than read and would probably have changed in the telling. It is a poignant glimpse of an oral tradition of rural house-visiting; where neighbours would gather at an appointed cottage and all were expected to have a song, story or poem ready for recitation.
It could get quite competitive and often made for a great night but that 'one in, all in' aspect of these social gatherings would also have been at the dark heart of the eponymous Attack on Stokes.


The Attack on Stokes (Spring 1937)

Pat Stokes became a Tommy
And after he left his Mammy,
He went soldiering far away.
On hills and plains, neath monsoon rains
From Khyber to Mandalay

Though tender of years,
He overcame great fears
In that wild and wondrous land
Where Eagles soar and tigers roar
And the teaks in their glory stand

But that was far from the stones
That broke his bones
On a lone and later day
When the mob come out with a mighty shout
And the law of the Jungle held sway

On that day of sorrows, on that day of fears
With its burning black hate
And its crocodile tears
He was battered and beaten like a twig in the surf
Stoned like a martyr for a few sods of turf

Troth, we saw his blood seep

From wounds keen and deep
But mercy they weren’t for showing
The aged soldier ran for cover
And the stones they kept on throwing

Stokes faltered and stumbled,

Then staggered and tumbled
And finally, he crawled and he wept
In the grim skies above, but still nearer God’s love
He heard a sweet lark singing
And hush, beyond the heathered hill, was that a Church bell ringing?

Felled like a bullock, Stokes bled on the ground
Pleased with their work, his tormentors stood round
In from the west, a bitter breeze had stolen,
All the while they hammered on,
In the deep boggy bay, the black tide had swollen.

Oh I still hear his groans,
See those bone-breaking stones
And I still see the stains of his tears
That fear in his face, that awful disgrace
They haunt me now for years

Like the west winds that roar
Or the wild waves on the shore
That grind like an angry mill
The thoughts of that day
And the mob’s cruel affray
Are Furies beyond my will

Did he think of his comrades dying
With vultures above them flying
On those mighty Burmese Crags
To escape the pain, when the blows fell like rain
At home in that place of rags?

But the Lord of Creation (being the Lord of Salvation)
He’s forgiven that awful crime
We hope for redemption
And rely on the assumption
That all wounds heal over time

Well, time has moved on
And now that they’ve gone
To the home of the Lord I pray
It’s now that they’ll know
In that heavenly glow
The madness of that bleak day

Whilst we that remain,
Midst the mist and the rain
A terrible burden must shoulder
When we look at those bogs
Through memories’ fogs
We still see the attack on the soldier

By Martin Scanlon, Tellaghawn Duff, 50 years on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...