Skip to main content

We shot the English for less...*

With losses of €17.7bn, Anglo-Irish Bank today posted the largest corporate losses in the history of the state.
The announcement came ahead of the Irish Central Bank's release of forensic stress tests which are expected to expose losses across other Irish banks, including Allied Irish Banks (AIB), Bank of Ireland, Irish Life and Permanent (IL&P) and the EBS building society.
So far, Anglo-Irish alone is understood to have cost the Irish taxpayer around €30bn. Anglo’s former chief executive, David Drumm, will also face questions today and tomorrow in connection with debts claimed by the stricken bank and his declaration of bankruptcy in Massachusetts.
Stress testing is expected to reveal that 44,000, or 5.7% of homeowners, are at least three months behind with their mortgages. And the value of these arrears? A staggering €8.6bn.
Based on an assessment of the ‘worst case scenario’, stress-testing is designed to ascertain whether or not the banks can withstand a particularly rough period of economic turbulence. Capitalisation is almost always the key to passing these stress tests: banks need to demonstrate an ability to absorb losses down the road while continuing to conduct their business as usual.
Often employed as a confidence-building measure, stress testing is normally an unremarkable corporate risk-assessment practice.
However, in light of both AIB and BOI being given a clean bill of health in EU-wide stress tests last summer and given that this report's conclusions may be based on false and flattering assumptions about the state of the economy and mortgage default figures, the value of the Irish Central Bank’s analyses may be questionable.
Certainly, there is clear evidence from pollsters in Ireland that most people simply don’t trust that these stress tests will reveal the full extent of the parlous state of Eire plc’s balance sheet. One online poll conducted by thejournal.ie suggests that around 80% of its readers just don’t believe that we have bottomed out just yet. There seems to be little public faith in this confidence-building measure.
It’s not even melodramatic anymore to say that this bailout and its venal architects have signed Ireland up to bonded servitude for decades; a debt that can never be paid and another generation scattered to the four corners...It just seems to me that down the years -- from the White Boys of Killala to the South Armagh Brigade -- we were happy enough to shoot and bomb the Saisneach out for much lesser effronts...

*Courtesy of The Fenian Telegraph

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...