Skip to main content

Revolutionary momentum runs into regime inertia in Cairo

Back to normal?
Mubarak held his first cabinet meeting today since 25 January. Cairo once again honks, throbs and roars with traffic and the protesters have begun talks with Mubarak’s stooges.  The curfew, which has been largely ignored in any event, has been shortened to run from 8pm to 6am. The Cairo Bourse took an enforced holiday on 27 January after it haemorrhaged  nearly 20% in two days trading but it is now set to reopen for trading on Sunday.
Most people are thankful for these signs of a return to normality. According one Al Jazeera reporter in the city; "There are divisions. On one side, people do agree with the messages coming out of Tahrir Square, but on the other, Egypt is a country where about 40% of the population lives on daily wages."
Nevertheless,  tens of thousands continue to occupy Tahrir Square and a memorial service was held there on Monday for 39-year Ahmed Mohammed Mahmoud: a reporter  for the state-run Al Tawuun newspaper who was  shot by a sniper while filming police beating a protester from his office window in Lazoghly Square on 29 January.
Tahrir memorial service for murdered
 journalist Ahmed Mohammed Mahmoud
With an inscrutability therefore that hasn’t exactly been sphinx-like, the Egyptian security services, including the army, have attempted to play the role of honest brokers with varying degrees of verisimilitude over the course of the last week.
But as the protest movement now seems to be losing momentum and conceding to hold talks, the army’s mask has started slipping badly.
It’s also becoming pretty clear that getting Mubarak’s feet out from under the Presidential desk will probably necessitate prising his cold dead fingers from the walnut and leather-top veneer.
The Muslim Brotherhood, the largest opposition group, which has until recently gone on the record stating that it would not negotiate with the government until Mubarak was gone, is now trying to polish the turd of explanation for their volte-face.
Brotherhood member Essam El-Erian, told reporters that it has to participate "in any dialogue that can meet the demands of the people".
The CIA's 'man in Cairo' Omar Suleiman (right)
pictured with Israeli President Shimon Peres
This was tempered by his colleague’s qualification. Abdul Moneim Aboul Fotouh insisted that their organisation "cannot call it talks or negotiations. The Muslim Brotherhood went with a key condition that cannot be abandoned ... that he [Mubarak] needs to step down in order to usher in a democratic phase,"
Omar Suleiman, Egypt’s former top spy chief and vice president since 29 January, used the meetings with the protesters on Sunday to offer a vague laundry list of reforms. These included the formation of a committee to examine proposed constitutional amendments; the pursuit of corrupt government officials and the ‘liberalisation of the media as well as lifting the state of emergency when the security situation was deemed to be appropriate. A state of emergency has existed since Mubarak came to power in 1981. Suleiman is described by Al Jazeera as having “long been the CIA’s main man in Cairo”.
None of this butters any parsnips with the protesters down on the barricades in Tahrir Square: "The political parties can do whatever they please because they don't represent us," a young woman told reporters. "This is not a revolution made by the parties. The parties have been there for 30 years and they've done nothing. This is the people's revolution," she added.
Evidence of the dark side of the police crackdown is also finding its way out.  Military police involvement in the recent arrests of thousands of people including activists and foreign journalists is being alleged by human rights groups on the ground.
According to witnesses at the the Hisham Mubarak Legal Centre, up to 30 people were arrested at the centre which has had a pivotal role in recording the protests.
One of the detainees, lawyer Ahmed Saif al-Islam Hafez told reporters that he had heard screams from neighbouring cells which he felt were for his benefit. "They wanted me to hear this," he said. "They wanted to send a message."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...