Skip to main content

Mayo Ass wins Donkey Derby

Not at the races....
Bookies’ favourite Enda Kenny romped home this weekend with the Blueshirts on track for their biggest General Election success since the early 80s.
The safe money therefore is on a FG/Labour coalition for the next government. Anything other than the spectacular implosion of Fenian Failure would have been a major surprise. The Greens, having had their mouths stuffed with FF gold down the years, were also soundly hockeyed.
And then of course there’s Sinn Féin.  Having comfortably beaten their stated target of seven deputies, the Shinners look like they are finally starting to make the significant inroads south of the border that they have long threatened; even if in the case of many of their wins, only just south of the border.
With TDs elected in Louth, Sligo-North Leitrim, Donegal and Cavan-Monaghan, there’s a strong borderland vote for Sinn Féin out there and evidently getting stronger. Judging by Adams’ Louth performance, the Republicans might even be wondering whether they should have tried to sneak in another candidate in the wee county.
But that’s not the full story; not by a long way. There are also Sinn Féin TDs coming in from demographics as diverse and Meath and Dublin Central. Openly derided by the South’s media, the party has stuck to its guns (if you’ll pardon the pun) and in so doing, has well and truly arrived as a political force on both sides of our increasingly notional border.
This particular set of circumstances creates an interesting dynamic for the Republican party; in the North, their prestige can really only increase as a result of this southern success. Their newly enhanced ability to influence policy in the south is also likely to make them attractive to sections of Northern Irish society not traditionally seen as their heartland.  
There is also the outside chance that opinion formers in the South might actually start to evaluate Sinn Féin, not just in terms of their roots in Republican conflict but also in terms of their pedigree as responsive local politicians on both sides of the border and in their clear ability to administer government in the North, even if it is on behalf of The Crown.
Perhaps more than any other emerging trend from this election, a strong Sinn Féin showing in this incoming Dáil has the potential to put the ‘National Question’ back on the political agenda in a new and more meaningful way than has happened for generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...