Skip to main content

The Irish Election: A Joycean view

Return of the Old School Spalpeen?
“When the soul of a man is born in this country, there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.”  (A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man)
As the clock runs down to the General election in Ireland, it’s hard not to be apathetic. 
Irish voters clearly remain mired in a civil war landscape. In spite of the painful shortcomings of all three big parties, the electorate seems content to play ‘Lanigan’s Ball’ on an interminable loop; Fenian Failure steps out and the Blueshirts step in again. The spineless complicity of the Dáil opposition in the country’s gang rape by international financiers and speculators doesn’t augur well for their imminent tenure in government.
Even the grubby little spat between the Sinn Féin and Labour is just a thinly veiled re-run of the old Official and Provisional split of 1969/70. The Stickies or ‘Official IRA’ went on, after successive rebrandings (from ‘Sinn Féin The Workers Party’ to the ‘Workers Party’ to the ‘Democratic Left’ before a final reverse takeover of the Labour Party) to carve out a niche among socialist and working class voters. This is a patch they guard jealously against the encroachment of the black northerners from the Provisional movement although the days when the Stickies would shoot opponents such as Seamus Costello seem consigned to the footnotes of history.
The opportunity to forge in the smithy of our souls the uncreated conscience of our race seems yet again to have been lost.
But then again, maybe not. The unpalatable truth of the matter may well be that the manifest ideological and intellectual poverty of mainstream Irish life -- both in the established media and the political classes -- is such that it doesn’t actually matter which donkey is crowned at the end of this bunfight. It will after all, most likely be civil servants in Dublin and Brussels who will wield power irrespective of which shiny-suited charlatans are returned by this pseudo-democratic charade.  
Despite presiding over the longest period of sustained prosperity in the State’s history, there has been a shameful failure on the part of successive governments to address perhaps the greatest stain on the national body politic. Structural emigration has not only been ignored in the fat years; it now actually seems to be an active component of any recovery being touted by the parcel of rogues to whom the country’s future is to be entrusted.
There is something shocking about the implicit expectation in a modern Western democracy that a significant percentage of the population will (almost as a policy consideration) be forced to leave the country in search of work. That old familiar spectre of the 1950s and 80s is making its cyclical return;  the 21st century spalpeen might be more literate and savvy than his navvy forbears but he is a still a working man forced to leave his shores reluctantly.
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it, runs the old adage. But as an Irishman who left the country in 1996, Jimmy Joyce seems perhaps more apposite; ‘History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake’...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...