Skip to main content

A Gilded Palace of Sin

All these years later, rolling over the Thames into Charing Cross on the train still thrills me (idiot optimist that I am). I suppose it’s that perennial sense of possibility that entering the belly of the beast brings anew. Every day could be the day; it is never is but never mind, because tomorrow could be the day.
Spread out to my right on the railway bridge: The City, St Paul's and grey Belfast, like a squat bristling sentry at Tower Bridge's approach. On the other side; the London Eye on the South bank and then the Palace over the water.
That mother of all parliaments; that endlessly photogenic clocktower; that one-time beacon of liberty and rectitude (allegedly). But nowadays, that (perhaps imagined) rectitude has been replaced by something else; an almost tangible essence of crime and corruption. And that’s me noticing it coming up from South London mind.  
The news today that criminals are at work in the Commons was only surprising because this time, the crimes alleged were the good old fashioned blue collar variety. Larceny was the clear winner in the offences stakes and perhaps my favourite was the case of the two gentlemen attempting to half-inch 10 chairs worth £500 apiece (‘a monkey’ if you know what I mean) from Portcullis House. More front than Southend.
Other notables were more or less discerning in their theft. The filching of a £1,000 candlestick I can understand; it’s a pretty portable piece of swag but the theft of a rug worth £800 from an MP’s office seems more logistically problematic.
Racial assaults behind the Speakers chair; wholesale laptop and sat-nav theft and the possession of hashish; business as usual in the gilded palace of sin apparently. According to judiciously leaked police documents, crime is still on the rise as well.
Nine crimes were reportedly investigated in 2007; 22 in 2008 and then 28 in 2009. The most up-to-date figures for the first nine months of 2010 suggest another good year for Westminster’s criminal fraternity at an already healthy 22 offences including surprisingly, only one death threat against an MP.
And it's not just the Palace that's having a bad hair day journalistically speaking. The London Borough of Westminster was also in the news today when it emerged that there is a 20-year gap between the life expectancies of the rich and the poor in the borough.  It seems that the difference between Marylebone and Edgware at one end and Knightsbridge and Belgravia at the other is a brisk fifteen minutes walk or two decades, depending on how you look at it.
It was hard for this Londoner therefore not to feel a little envious of the Egyptians as their news broke on the way home. With Mubarak stepping down; it almost looked as if people power and the whole social networking revolution schtick might finally start making sense for an oppressed nation. In all the world, Tahrir Square was probably the place to be tonight.
Meanwhile, on the evening rush-hour cattle-train to Lewisham, I took cold consolation from imagining that we were on the same line that took Fenian and Trade Unionist Jim Connell home that evening in 1889 when he penned 'The Red Flag'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...