Skip to main content

This sporting life...

Sport in Ireland has rarely been confined to back-page coverage but this week, it all is over the front pages and for all sorts of reasons...
i gcuimhne Michaela Harte 
Michaela Harte, daughter of respected Tyrone Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte, was found dead in her honeymoon hotel room in the island paradise of Mauritius, the media reported on 11 January.
At the time of writing, three Mauritian citizens were in custody, charged with the 27-year old’s murder which seems to have occurred as a result of her disturbing thieves when she returned to her room in the afternoon.
The human tragedy that has befallen the McAreavey and Harte families is being felt acutely by Irish people far beyond the confines of O’Neill country. TRWS can only offer the same heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved families that Irish people everywhere are feeling...
******
It was also the week that the Ulster Council of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) met with the Presbyterian Moderator Dr Norman Hamilton for the first time in the history of either institution.  Dr Hamilton described the meeting as "a warm and instructive, getting to know you couple of hours".
The GAA was not to be outdone in the glasnost stakes and Ulster GAA president Aogan Ó Fearghail said he looked forward “to further developing mutually benefcial links with the Presbyterian Church.” Ó Fearghail went on to describe his first meeting with Dr Hamilton as “important”, and added that he hoped it would be the first of many.
******
Dark tragedies and dawning optimism were accompanied in the sporting Irish news by an unwelcome spectre of an altogether grimmer time. The sinister old practice of sending bullets in the mail was brought back into service this week with Glasgow Celtic players Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn and Manager Neil Lennon the intended recipients of said ordnance posted in Northern Ireland.
Lennon is sadly no stranger to this kind of attention. The 39- year old former Northern Ireland player, received death threats in 2002 and was forced to pull out of an international against Cyprus as a result, his international career ended shortly thereafter.
******
Glentoran striker Matthew Burrows found himself in exalted company this week when his  15-yard volleyed back-heel lob goal against Portadown put him into contention for the FIFA goal of the year award.
Unfortunately the Northern Ireland Carling Premiership player lost out to Hamit Altintop's 22-yard volley for Turkey against Kazakhstan.
To watch Burrows goal, click here
******
I gcuimhne Michaela Harte: ‘Ar lámh dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam uasa’
Click here to sign the Tyrone GAA Facebook of Condolences

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...