Skip to main content

Gorgeous George to replace Grizzly Adams?

It’s been another tumultuous week in Irish political life.
In this shot, you can actually see
Galloway's credibilty draining away...
Brian Cowen’s animal impressions certainly kept us guessing: was he a donkey, a pig in a suit, a lame duck or just a dog in the manger?  
Meanwhile, the barnyard metaphors just kept coming; the Green Party and the Fenian Failure front bench made a bid for the moral high ground by kicking Biffo once it was abundantly clear that he was down and out; closing the stable door long after the horses of public opinion had bolted.
But if it’s animal impressions you’re after, then Belfast might be the best bet.  According to Sinn Féin’s former director of communications, Danny Morrison, Celebrity Big Brother contestant George Galloway would make a suitable successor to MP Gerry Adams in West Belfast.  
During his interview, Morrison asked the Andersonstown News reporter: "In West Belfast, we can think outside the box, and, if so, what about you the people, welcoming into this revolutionary neighbourhood, Mr George Galloway?"
That’s more like thinking when you’re out of your box. No-one asked Morrison whether he’d been drinking before making such an off-the-wall pronouncement to the Andy-town  News and it’s clearly too early to be an April Fools day prank.
Apparently, Galloway would have to adhere to the Shinners abstentionist policy but by all accounts, his infrequent attendance at Westminster on behalf of his Bethnal Green constituency would suggest that abstention wouldn’t be much of a leap for the wily and bewhiskered tomcat.
Still, TRWS would pay good money to see George in a leotard wooing the unreconstructed voters of the Falls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...