Skip to main content

The Art of Politics

Calling all creative types: your country needs you...
Courtesy of UpStart
Economic depression and political turmoil create great art; so runs the theory and if it proves to be correct, UpStart could well be in on the ground floor of a new Irish renaissance...
UpStart, a non-profit arts collective that wants to put creativity at the centre of public consciousness during the Irish General Election Campaign in 2011, says it aims to “encourage a debate on the role of the arts in this state.”
To that end, the collective intends to reinterpret the spaces commonly used for displaying election campaign posters in Dublin City and is calling on all artists to submit work for this exhibition. They’ve also made a Stephen Rea voice-overed animated video setting out their stall (click here to see it).
Oscar Wilde apparently once said that all art is quite useless but of course (clever Irish man that he was) he was actually implying the opposite.  One of the benchmarks of an evolved society (at least by anthropological standards) is a high level of artistic sophistication or, to use more market driven terminology; a burgeoning creative industry is a necessary corollary of a successful post-industrial economy.
UpStart would appear to be alive to both interpretations of this reality: “we hope to highlight the importance of creativity and ingenuity when society is in need of direction and solutions, and to emphasise the value of the arts to public life. We believe that the future development of the country requires a healthy cultivation of the Arts,” according to the collective.
The plan is to seek submissions from the full range of artistic disciplines with the ambitious target of  500 submissions from writers and visual artists, photographers, painters and graphic designers.
It is is envisaged that these works would be duplicated and 1,000 pieces would be printed as election-size posters to be displayed throughout Dublin city. Work from musicians and film makers will also be considered and hosted/exhibited through the Upstart website which will be launched on the day of the electoral poster campaign.
For more information on UpStart click here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...