Skip to main content

The Adventures of PC Provocateur

It was revealed this week that an undercover police officer in the UK had acted as an agent provocateur at a power station protest last year.


PC Mark Kennedy had apparently spent a total of seven years infiltrating peaceful environmental protest groups in an operation which was to have culminated in his giving evidence on behalf the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) against six protesters accused of conspiring to take over Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station in Nottinghamshire in April, 2010.
In a sensational volte face however, Kennedy offered to testify for the defence instead, thereby causing the collapse of the Crown's case.
The liberal end of the UK’s domestic press has been in foment about the propriety of how such undercover operations are conducted.  And rightly, there have been concerns about how Kennedy personally conducted himself throughout this period of deep cover.
Not least, questions are being asked about the sexual relationships Kennedy conducted with women who were part of the movements he infiltrated. There has even been speculation about whether or not his conduct might be tantamount to sexual assualt. Well, if we assume that consent can be negated by deception, then, almost certainly one would have thought, there is at least a case answer. Would these women have consented to sexual intercourse had they known the true nature of this policeman’s intentions? Moreover, is it really reasonable to believe the policeman did not know that any such sexual encounters could well have been based on a deal-breaking deception?
The Guardian's investigation into Kennedy, reveals that since August 2003, the officer, posing as Mark Stone, a "freelance climber", had used fake ID to infiltrate protest groups in 22 different countries.


During that time, Kennedy took part in numerous protests and actions and saw him opposing the building of a dam in Iceland; he was also busy infiltrating anarchist networks in Germany and Italy and travelling through Spain with eco-activists.
The civil liberties (not to mention the civil litigation) implications of this affair could be far-reaching. Not surprisingly the activists’ lawyer has called for an inquiry into police conduct. Mike Schwarz of Bindmans said the seven-year infiltration by Kennedy raised "serious questions" for the civil liberties of peaceful protesters.
What still seems to be escaping people’s attention however is the sheer cost of this kind of operation.
For example, £300,000 is understood to have been the cost of the April raid which netted the Nottinghamshire power station protesters in the school building where they had gathered on the eve of the planned protest.
Brian Nelson: British
Army Agent in UDA
That figure almost certainly fails to include the total cost of training and running an uncover officer:  from the creation of his ‘legend’ to his expenses and his salary for seven years; that kind of thing don’t come cheap. And furthermore, it would be naive to believe that Kennedy is unusual; there have certainly been suggestions that Kennedy wasn’t the only ‘plant’ within the environmental movement.
Having taken some interest in the conduct of covert warfare in Ireland from the 1920s onwards, TRWS is not unfamiliar with the work of the British Security Services in both Irish ‘jurisdictions’ and can't help noticing some worrying parallels or at least a disturbing emerging trend.
If the British people really want to see what their government and security services are capable of when the status quo is under threat, they might be well-advised to look to the conduct of the Army, MI5, MI6 and the Police (RUC) throughout the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
It has, at this stage, become almost a matter of public record that British Government agents targeted civilians and provided information to death squads; there are credible allegations of the facilitation of assassinations, even inside prisons; violent and psychopathic criminals were allowed to operate with impunity so as long as their value as intelligence assets remained high. Make no mistake, the British Government will act with extreme prejudice in protection of the State’s interests, even to the detriment of that state's legitimacy.
The really worrying thing about this affair, for TRWS at least, is that, while the State might plead some justification for such tactics in its ultimately discredited War on Terror; it is another thing entirely to allow unchecked State agents to behave like criminals in their subversion of organisations whose aims are recognised even by trial judges as having “the highest possible motives”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...