Skip to main content

A Pardoner’s Tale

'Twas a simpler time...'
London in the 1970s wasn’t just a hostile place for Irishmen when they strayed outside their allocated ghettos (geographical or psychological). 
It was even less of a picnic if you happened to be black. And as we all know, that discrimination didn’t stop at the notices in lodging house windows. It ran deep, still does. And certainly, in an era when ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ and 'Till Death Us Do Part’ were watched by millions without the benefit of 21st century irony, going to the bank manager to look for a mortgage or a business loan wasn’t really a goer.

So, Britain’s West Indian community came up with a solution to this and it’s called ‘a Pardoner’.
Now, The Deptford Croppy won’t lie to its reader(s). Much of the knowledge I have about pardoners is anecdotal but, after extensive searching, I did find a brief definition posted on Facebook. (Big shouts out to you, Blackwongawoman).
A pardoner is West Indian saving method where a group of people (usually friends) ‘pool their money together and then loan to each other on an interest-free basis’, with everyone paying back every month into the pot.
And the banks weren't
 much different...
I know for a fact that it is certainly still practiced in London, particularly -- but not exclusively -- among networks of Black women; although probably not as much as previously. (We may yet be seeing their resurgence...)


That said, I also found an oral history recording of a lady called Phyllis Sylvester, remembering the system from the 1970s when it was used to buy property. She warns that owning a property seemed to make the black community more Anglicised, more selfish, and in the end less strong.
It still represents a very attractive and pleasingly pro-active alternative to dealing with banks though, doesn’t it?
Of course, we also have the power to put this kind of community lending on a more secure legal footing as well in the form of our Credit Union network.
In theory at least, they are not that difficult to set up. Click here for a kick off. Banks... Who needs ‘em?

Comments

  1. I'm really interested in this. I'm a housing and architectural historian researching an obscure Victorian self-help sort of building society for 'mechanic' which operated very like this. I'd like to know more but the links to Phyllis Sylvester and Blackwongawoman don't work. And no-one else has commented on this, so presumably no great renaissance of interest. Do you know any more? Can you help please?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...