Skip to main content

New Year’s Eve reprieve denied to Irish outlaw

Legendary gunslinger Billy the Kid was turned down for a pardon today, nearly 130 years after his death at the hands of Irish American lawman Pat Garrett on 14 July 1881.
Bill Richardson, the Governor of New Mexico, had promised he would decide whether to give the controversial pardon to one of America's most notorious desperadoes before leaving office on Dec 31. The Kid is reputed to have shot dead 21 people; one for each year of his short and violent life.
Richardson considered whether Lew Wallace, the state's governor at the time (and author of Ben Hur), had reneged on a promise of an amnesty for the Kid's crimes in return for him testifying as a witness in a murder case. In the end however, Richardson, whose campaign generated significant media attention, decided there just wasn’t enough evidence to allow a pardon.
"I have decided not to pardon Billy the Kid because of a lack of conclusiveness, and also the historical ambiguity as to why governor Wallace reneged on his pardon," Mr Richardson told reporters today.
The decision was welcomed by the descendants of Sheriff Pat Garrett, who had launched a protest over the move calling the outlaw a "thief, terroriser and cop killer."
Billy the Kid's real name was William McCarty; both of his parents are thought to have come from Ireland. While McCarty's origins remain uncertain, many reputable scholars of western history maintain “he was born on the eve of the Civil War in the bowels of an Irish neighbourhood in New York City at 70 Allen Street.”
There is however clear evidence that the Kid's mother's name was Catherine McCarty and it is widely believed that the she was a survivor of the Great Hunger in the mid-19th century.
Catherine died of tuberculosis in 1874 and was thus spared the knowledge of her son’s notoriety, which reached its peak during the Lincoln County War in 1877.


The Rusty Wire Service wishes its readers a happy and enlightened new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...