Skip to main content

The Croppy in the ‘Kettle’

The Rusty Wire Service was in Parliament Square this evening when the news broke that across the road in the Palace of Westminster, a morally bankrupt House of Commons had voted through the proposed fee increases for students.

Pic: Courtesy of Andy Rain
It would be disingenuous to say that there was no trouble. There was and plenty of it; no sensationalism intended. Damage running to hundreds of thousands of pounds at least was caused and protesters were within a whisker of storming the Treasury, having made pretty short work of the supposedly bomb-proof windows with steel poles and broken paving. But that’s not the whole story.

It was a surreal start to proceedings for the Croppy; strolling through the riot-police lines with a breezy smile, waving a press card that hadn’t really seen action since Afghanistan two years ago.

Police numbers at the protest were substantial and the Deptford Croppy spoke to one friendly riot squadron leader who said that pretty much the whole of the Metropolitan and British Transport Police in London had been drafted in for the day.

Lines upon lines of men and women in dark blue uniforms, their faces covered by ski masks and helmets, truncheons drawn and Saxon shield wall at the ready. The blue army’s cavalry of mounted officers sat astride tall beautiful horses champing at the bit behind the shield wall.
Pic: Courtesy of Andy Rain
There were probably almost as many police as there were protesters at today’s demonstration. About 15,000 students spent most of the day sealed up in Parliament Square between Whitehall and Westminster Abbey, from about 3pm until late evening.
By and large, the stand-off was good-natured enough but as 5.30pm and the parliamentary vote drew near, the crowd began to grow restless. Up to that point for the majority of students, it had been drummers and sound systems, some minor vandalism and wary eyeing of the coppers. It was pretty clear however that some kind of trouble would be along just as soon as the inevitable happened and the vote went through.
The Deptford Croppy took up a position on the corner of Whitehall and Westminster Bridge Road where there were good views of both Parliament and Whitehall, with Downing Street beyond. This was the corner where good-natured finally turned ugly. At one point I looked behind me and in open view, was a group of masked youths breaking up the concrete supports for temporary steel fencing.
Once confrontation reached open hostility, steel fencing was used to great effect by the protesters, creating a mesh barrier which negated the police shield wall and behind which protestors could push back the peelers.
While they pushed behind these fencing sections, other unwieldy sections were being sent over the top to further harass the police as the scrum ebbed and flowed under Big Ben’s clock tower.
Meanwhile, small groups of more robust protesters then used this flash point as a diversion for an action that ran along the length of Her Majesty’s Treasury and saw most of the buildings supposedly bomb-proof ground floor windows succumbing to nothing more than steel fencing poles and lumps of broken concrete. Amongst the scarf-obscured faces, a number were proudly carrying trophies of liberated riot police shields.
Pic: Courtesy of Andy Rain
The further the police moved along in an effort to protect the Treasury, the more in danger they were of being kettled themselves and they could only look on as first a door and then a window were breached. I saw fear in the eyes of a number of policemen and if you watched them closely enough, they’re hands were shaking. (You couldn't pay me enough to do their job.)
As the crowd surged to watch the sharp end of the protest come up against the sharp end of the blue line at the open door, there were a couple of short charges by the police. The first charge caused a little panic but very quickly, people had figured out that the police would not – even in their fancy Bondage gear – run into a crowd that was standing to face them.
It’s important however to note and note well, that this was not the action of a lawless intoxicated mob, nor was it just a homogenous group of bourgeois students working out their rebellion before joining the establishment. Among the crowds, the Deptford Croppy spoke to community college plumbing students; trainee nurses and apprentice bricklayers as well as the usual well-spoken and well-meaning suspects that always get chosen as vox pops by the established media.


The same media will also tell you that the majority of the 'criminal behaviour' is carried out by small numbers but that's only partly true.


Once you corral a bunch of free-thinking people and respond to their legitimate protest with a paramilitary show of force, then crowd dynamics, being what they are; a smaller more pro-active group will always emerge from within the larger polity to strike out and their action isn't likely to meet much internal censure. Frankly, it's more likely to be openly applauded as an expression of the group's will...
One thing is certain however, English students are getting a taste for protest and may even have an aptitude for it. The Deptford Croppy suspects that this new radicalism won’t stop at fees protests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...