Skip to main content

Will somebody please give David Haye a fight?

David Haye’s demolition of Audley ‘A-Force’ Harrison in the second minute of the third round last night in Manchester’s MEN Arena is being decried in some sections of the media as “a night of total embarrassment for British boxing”.
Ordinary Harrison fails to put up a fight 
I’m not so sure. The only person really embarrassed was poor old ‘Fraudley’: a boxer who, a decade ago, showed such  promise on winning Olympic gold. It’s not my business to kick a man while he’s down; vituperative sports writers will do the job much better than I, so I’ll spare poor Audrey's blushes.
Besides, if as Barry McGuigan has suggested, the bright side of this debacle is that surely now Audley will have to retire, I’m guessing Mr Harrison will find his cut from this fight a comfort at least.
Everybody complains even though the dogs on the street knew that it could never go much further than the third in any event. The fact of the matter is that right about now; there just aren’t any fighters around who’d go the distance never mind beat David Haye. And I’d even stick my neck out and include the Klitschkos in that statement.
Vitali Klitschko, who’s fighting career stretches back to his kick-boxing days in the early 1990s, is still a heavyweight to be reckoned with but he is moving towards a different destiny nowadays.
A celebrated public figure in his adoptive Germany, Vitali has made no secret of his political ambitions in his native Ukraine and that, ultimately, is where his future lies. It’s just a question of choreography after that.
The way that dance card seems to be working out right now is with little brother Wladimir (IBF, WBO, IBO and The Ring Magazine World Heavyweight Champion) taking on Haye in the first instance and then, all things being equal, the Bermondsey WBA world heavyweight would take a crack at Vitali’s WBC Heavyweight belt.
Haye certainly sees things in those terms: “There’s nowhere else for those guys to go. If they want to fight for big money they’ve got to come to me,” he told reporters after the fight.
That said, Haye is running to a very tight schedule if his oft stated plans for retirement by October of next year are to followed.
But as everyone knows, timelines for fight fixtures can be pretty elastic in the world of boxing and David Haye is no mug, he’ll follow the money; even if it means having to eat his words on that point.
Vitali Klitschko: recipient of the
Federal Cross of Merit of Germany
In terms of who might win Haye’s Klitschko campaign, my money would have to be on Haye.


I was at the York Hall in 2006 to watch Haye’s ruthless pounding of Danish fighter Lasse Johansen while Haye was still only EBU Cruiserweight Champion but even then, he had immense star quality.
In round 8, a stiff and surgical right caused Johansen’s nose to explode like a bloody red flashbulb popping. That was the tee up for a finish that looked a broken jaw even from the cheap seats.
Haye has shown time and again in his move up to the heavyweight division that it’s not the dog in the fight that matters, it’s the fight in the dog. Nikolai Valuev outweighed Haye by a clear seven stone and let’s not even talk about height and reach.
So while fight fans might have a moan about the lack of a spectacle (and for the prices they pay, Christ knows they’ve a right to), the upside is that the Haye/Harrison match will have been a clear sign to the Klitschkos that making the Haye fights will be a bonanza, the time for hype and avoidance is over.
The outcome, when it finally arrives, should be a bruising two-handed campaign with the Sarf London boy coming out on top in his quest to unify the belts. The Rusty Wire Service is keen to see the when’s and where’s sorted, toots sweet.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...