Skip to main content

One from the Kafka Files

It was a bit like the plot from a sinister absurdist farce: an endless bureaucratic nightmare of paperwork cock-ups, institutionalisation and systemic indifference that has spanned three decades. At the centre of it all, a frail, shy old man with learning difficulties.
When the file landed on my desk, I was aghast and I still am.

The prisoner, let’s call him ‘Tom’, was convicted of arson and given a life sentence with a recommendation that he serve at least four-years, that was back around 1982/3.
28 years later in 2010, Tom is still serving his sentence with no realistic prospect of release in sight in spite of the repeated advocacy and assistance offered on Tom’s  behalf by concerned Irish organisations.
I recently made a social visit to Tom; it was the only way I would get access to him.
I had made repeated unsuccessful requests to meet with Tom and other Irish prisoners  as an accredited visitor for one of the aforementioned Irish organisations.
On all occasions, I was ignored even though I had observed the appropriate channels and protocols, so in the end, I just asked Tom to send out some VOs (visiting orders) and I would make a personal visit (which I did with a colleague more familiar with Tom’s case).
We reached the Visitor Centre, run by a local charity and for the record, it was by far the most compassionate and empathetic of the visitor centres I’ve seen up and down the UK. Very often, the sneer of staff for visitors (‘punters’) in these places is only barely concealed so this represented a welcome change.
We got processed through security by a friendly, ample and complacent son of the region’s prison’s economy. There is strict security but it’s been widely acknowledged that smuggling is perhaps as much a problem in the officer population as it is among any of the other so-called ‘stakeholders’ in HM Prison Service.
Even though neither myself nor my colleague had ever met Tom, we spotted him immediately on entering the association hall. A fragile slender figure, with a timid smile of intuitive recognition and an uncertain, jerky little wave to us as he sat awkwardly on the ergonomically hostile prison furniture, one hand idly playing with his offender's hi-visibility Sam Browne belt.
Our conversation was largely light-hearted and we talked about sports, what London was like now, and about how day-to-day life was in the gaol. But underlying it all was the great sadness of sitting with a lost soul, someone who society had forgotten about and left to rot for no better reason than sustained bureaucratic inertia.
As a result of this disgraceful situation, the problem now has ironically become what would happen if and when Tom is actually released.
The length of time that Tom has spent behind bars has ensured complete institutionalisation. His rehabilitation into mainstream society after nearly thirty years is by no means certain. There is much anecdotal evidence to suggest that many people simply don’t recover.
When our time was up, we got up to leave having bid Tom a warm goodbye. He was still sitting awkwardly with a brave smile and wave as we rounded the corner.
My heart was breaking (and I make no apologies for saying so) and I know that my colleague was deeply affected by the visit.
Britain is addicted to locking people up, much more so than any other country in Western Europe. 
And the system is obviously overburdened; a point amply demonstrated by the preceding account of a catastrophic failure to monitor the welfare of a prisoner with clear health and behavioural issues.
Tom's case is unfortunately not unique and this underlines the importance of an organisation like ICPO.
If you want to know about the work of the ICPO in this, its 25th anniversary year, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...