Skip to main content

More Flim-Flann....

Grand Wizard unearths new Keats and Chapman manuscripts*


Professor Osborne Xavier O’Lughnasa, a Grand Wizard of The Institute of Implausibility, has discovered a set of previously unpublished Keats and Chapman anecdotes in the attic of a Munich Bierhaus.
Forensic etymologists from the Journal of Omniresearch are currently poring over the beer-stained pages to ascertain whether or not Myles na gCopaleen was in fact the author. OmniResearch Inc. (‘Innovation through lubrication), based in Israel is one of the world's foremost authorities in Omnium Studies.
Myles finds diversion in Dublin
“I am satisfied this is the genuine article,” said O’Lughnasa yesterday in a press statement issued by the Institute. “I am also sure that that the boys at Omniresearch Inc. will bear me out,” he added.
Certainly, the manuscripts look the part, and the tortuous set-up followed by improbable puns are very much in keeping with Flann O’Brien’s style.
See Below.
Keats and Chapman were staying on the site of an archeological dig in Kurdistan. One night, Chapman was woken by noises outside his tent. Peering out, he saw two figures emerge from a nearby tent, then make their way to the next and crawl quietly in. He realised that the men were native tribesmen stealing from the tents while the camp slept. Chapman left his tent and cast around for a weapon, thinking that the natives were probably armed. The first thing that came to hand was a bone from a pile nearby. Chapman recognised it as a human thigh bone. Moving quietly to the tent where the robbers were, he waited for them to emerge. As they crawled out, he struck first the one and then the other sharply over the head, knocking them both unconscious, then raised the alarm. The camp came awake, and a small crowd gathered around Chapman and the two unconscious natives. Chapman explained what had happened.
"Well done, Chapman," said Keats. "You seem to have stilled two Kurds with one bone."
******
Walking along the cliffs near Land's End one day, Keats and Chapman came across a spot overlooking a small bay, where they decided to rest for a while. Lower down the cliff, they noticed a group of boys throwing stones at the sea birds in the bay.
After a while, Chapman said, "Keats, don't you think we should do something about this?"
"What? Yes, yes of course you're right," replied Keats. Leaning forward over the cliff, he called down to the boys, "That's it, lads, keep it up. Leave no tern unstoned."
******
Keats and Chapman were visiting a friend at his house in the country. Their friend was well known for his hobby of collecting thrones, rather unusual collector's items perhaps, but the man had the wealth to have acquired quite a fair few of them. At Keats' request, the man led them through to a large conservatory, where the collection stood. Some were set out for display, whilst others, the less worthy perhaps, were stacked in piles. Chapman was particularly struck by one throne which was some way down in a stack in a corner. He asked if it might be possible to view it properly, and their friend obligingly called for the butler to dismantle the pile. The butler was some time in arriving, and Chapman, impatient at the wait, began to lift thrones from the pile himself. Unfortunately, the pile had not been well stacked, and, Chapman disturbing its precarious equilibrium, the whole heavy tower of thrones toppled and fell, crashing through the glass end wall of the conservatory.
There was a silence, then Chapman, horror-stricken, said, "What can I say?"
"You could try the old adage," said Keats promptly. "People who live in glass houses shouldn't stow thrones."
******
An unfortunate series of events had led to an acquaintance of Chapman's becoming an inmate of the local lunatic asylum. Our heroes went along one visiting day to see the man. The asylum was built in the form of a square, enclosing a courtyard, and it was in that courtyard that the visitors were allowed to visit their unfortunate friends and relatives. After some time, a white coated attendant came out to the top of the steps that led down into the courtyard, and began ringing a handbell.
"What does that signify?" asked Chapman.
"I think," said Keats, "he is ringing in the sane."


*Anecdotes shamelessly filched from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...