Skip to main content

The Men Behind the Wire

Note from The Editor
This is the first report filed for The Rusty Wire Service, thanks for reading. Please feel free to contribute; criticism, comments and suggestions are always gratefully received.


We aim to cover a wide range of topics here but underpinning it all, we hope, will be a necessarily deep scepticism about established 'truths' and orthodoxies. 


First principles like liberty and legitimacy should never be taken for granted. As part of our enquiries into liberty and contemporary culture, we will return regularly to prison and the nature of incarceration.


It is therefore appropriate that we start with a look at the lives of some of those 'behind the wire'.
The following is an excerpt from an eyewitness account of a visit to one of the UK’s top security prisons.


HMP Long Lartin, Evesham, Worcestershire
"This is the most escape-proof prison in Europe," the chaplain announced brightly as he talked me through the morning routine of boots off, bag search, fingerprint scan, picture taken and then a little stroll past the sniffer dogs. Compared to Scrubs and Wandsworth this was tight and not unexpected. Long Lartin houses some very dangerous people after all. I can’t afford to think about that too much, I’d never be able to do the job otherwise.
On some prison visits, my contact with prisoners takes place in the chapel where I would address them as a group and then speak more privately with whoever needed more attention. In Long Lartin however, I had the good fortune of being able to follow the RC Chaplain around the wings as he did his daily rounds.
The Chaplain gossiped as we darted about the jail. He had a resigned, seen-it-all-before chuckle about the Muslim prisoners who were quietly taking over wings and running them like an earlier generation of men behind a different wire. He even blithely asserted that Catholic gangs were being set up in response to the rise of Islam within the prison system.
It was a hectic morning, grabbing prisoners as we went, stopping on landings and taking notes on the hoof. By the time I got to the segregation block, I must have spoken to about twenty prisoners, some born in Ireland, some born in Britain, some settled some Travellers. Sex offenders, bank-robbers, rapists, brawlers and murderers but each of them was still a person for all of that, Each still brightened at human contact; a rare thing in this house of suffering. Anybody who tells you prison’s a holiday camp is an idiot and more than that, an ignoramus; this is a place seething with mental illness and barely suppressed violence. This is a lifer’s prison and too many people here really don’t have much to lose.
One of the unfortunate reasons for my visit was to secure an old prisoner’s permission for an Irish Government organisation to take his body back to be buried in Ireland when he died; which would almost certainly be in prison.
He was also the reason I was visiting the segregation block. It turned out the prisoner (a frail little man in his late 70s) had suffered some kind of violent outburst on the wing which resulted in him throwing a television down a stairs from the ‘threes’ (3rd floor landing of residential wing). The old man was clearly suffering from the onset of dementia and yet the only way I was allowed to speak to him was through a locked steel door.
Through the spy-hole, I could see him lying on the floor on top of a rubber mattress, his scrawny white ankles poking out from under his blanket. I called to him through the crack between door and jamb and the little man struggled to his feet and laboured to hear me above the clang and clamour of the wing. Everywhere was a cacophony: shouts and key jangles; fat prisoner officers tramping up and down steel staircases and the occasional lunatic whoops from the other cells on the seg block. The old man shook his head sadly at me through the little reinforced glass window, made a weary ‘I can’t hear you’ cup with his hand to his shaking head. And then he turned around slowly and lay back down under his blanket."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...