Skip to main content

Ireland’s Solemn League and Covenant?

The Rusty Wire Service welcomes Fintan O’Toole’s speech and 10-point plan but surprise, surprise, the hurler in the Deptford ditch has a few thoughts of his own on the subject....
"On one side of this street, in 1913,
James Larkin was arrested as he addressed
the workers of Dublin who  had stood up
to claim their dignity as citizens
rather than serfs. On the other side,
in 1916, Ireland was declared to be a republic
under the control of its own citizens." Dublin 2010
I signed it myself; and sure why wouldn’t I?


Not sure however if I would have gone to the extreme lengths of one Major Fred Crawford, who in 1912, famously signed Ulster’s Solemn League and Covenant in his own blood. But, health and safety apparently being what it is, I’m guessing there will be few sanguinary signatories.


This certainly doesn't have the drama of a pact of blood, and while it’s all a little bit ‘Meh’, people should undoubtedly sign this petition. If, for no other reason than right now, it seems pretty much to be the only game in town with any remote hope of achieving some critical mass as a broad front.
Mr O’Toole’s analysis of the situation after all is as scholarly, rational and pragmatic as any I have seen or heard over the past few months. The language employed is appropriately inclusive and aspirational and it is also sufficiently ambiguous to be all things to all men (and at least 30% of women).
To be fair, it is a good, honest start and there is a ring of truth and conviction about Mr Toole's position. It is all the more welcome because ironically, in a nation where the stereotype of the loquacious rabble-rouser is played up to with pride (as much as it is bemoaned), everyone has been remarkably reticent about stepping up to the plate. That said, this 10-point plan is not without some fundamental framing problems.
Now, as the old adage goes (at least in the cleaned-up version), ‘Opinions are like rectums; everybody has one' (the real trick I guess, is not to express said opinion through said orifice). And of course, if the Deptford Croppy had as many rectums as he did opinions, he’d probably have more dodgy ring-pieces than a dysentery epidemic.
Here are just a few: While I have sense of solidarity with this solemn, fledgling covenant, there are a few significant omissions for me. Firstly, there is a marked failure to address the National Question.
Now The Deptford Croppy is much more ‘Wrap the Black Flag round me boys’ as opposed to the green one, but on any analysis, a manifesto that fails to acknowledge its centrality to the whole Irish experience is missing a trick in this humble scribe's opinion.


If one is serious about changing the politics of Ireland, the rooting out of graft and corruption is certainly a good place to start, no arguments from the Croppy on that one.


Except perhaps to wonder whether 'cronyism' might not be some endemic  and curiously human trait which will always find its way around legislation or censure. 


That notwithstanding, on re-reading the ten points, one is struck by the preponderance of 'anti-graft-measures' at the expense of more meaty issues.


Lao-Tzu is reputed to have said; "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." He was only half-right, he forgot about the lawyers. The Deptford Croppy rather suspects that this 'crony-hunt' will only lead to a lot more legislation and tribunals.


It's as if '10 points' was settled upon as a catchy (or, if you like, marketable) package-cum-slogan. Let's have it right, that's not a cynical appraisal or even an allegation of impropriety but rather the reflection of a political and campaigning reality.


The problem however seems to be that certain elephants in the room had to be avoided, with the result that several of the 10 points could easily have run together to make room for more rights.


It would appear that the only positive award of rights to the Irish people in this document (both a welcome and potentially significant reform) is in the shape of affirmative action on the political gender divide.
Now, it's moot whether you think we should dig a wide deep ditch from Donegal to Armagh or whether you believe we should be engaging with our fellow Irishmen (any colour you like) on this grave matter of common concern.


As socio-economic conditions worsen, the political landscape on both sides of the border can only become more fraught on this island and Fianna Fáil's sleepwalking republican-lite philosophy butters no parsnips here. The point is that '26' and '6' will have stop thinking like they're the only Ones. 


Irrespective of economics, the National Question will remain a crucial issue for the people of this island. As 'centenary season' bears down on us starting with the UVF's inception and the Dublin Lockout in 2012/13 and then the Rising and the Battle of the Somme in 2016, there is likely to be a lot of soul-searching in all quarters.


The obvious and salutary corollary of this editing process is that we are leaving the field open (yet again) to 'unconstitutional elements' who set their bloody and barren agenda even as we profess to pursue a new politics.
The Six Counties dimension therefore broadens the debate's agenda beyond the scope of Southern Ireland in isolation and demands that a wider focus be sought in seeking lasting solutions to the problems of the Irish people as a whole. That brings the Deptford Croppy to another area of personal concern (as a London-Irish citizen of the Republic/Irish Free State).
Any movement in Ireland purporting to agitate for revolutionary change  needs to take account of its diaspora (see? not just a touchy-feely concept dreamt up by 'Nodding Mary'). And make no mistake, this could yet be the beginning of a movement for revolutionary change (at the very least in the conduct and institutions of government).


Failure to take account of this international dimension to the Irish experience, certainly at least in terms of historical precedent, is a miscalculation. It is always a major resource and a perenially loyal constituency.
While we live outside the Republic’s geographical boundaries, for many of us (and there are still many of us), all of the ties that bind remain intact. Blood, land (and the love of it) and the never-relinquished hope of return...And our houses and communities, from Queens to Co. Kilburn, are corners of a foreign land that will forever be Irish. Do we not deserve a stake in our country?
This writer would even contend that some form of suffrage (or significant Seanad representation) be extended to all Irish passport holders living outside the 26 counties, irrespective of their place of birth or ethnic heritage.
O'Toole: Man with minerals
The Deptford Croppy could go on but then again, he is mindful that he didn’t put his cock on the block; step up to try and front a movement that has the sincere aspiration of making Ireland a better place, so therefore, reservations or no, we support this petition.
The way The Rusty Wire Service sees it; the more the government ignores or circumvents the will of the people, the more real trouble they are ultimately storing up for themselves.


If you want to sign this petition, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...