Skip to main content

Grizzly Adams makes a break for Mexico

To the frank astonishment of the leader writers over in the Belfast Telegraph, Gerry Armani is leaving the politics of the Six Counties behind for a tilt at TD-ship in the Free State.
Adams: Afraid of the dark? 
Can’t say as astonishment was the response here at The Rusty Wire Service.  The question for us with Adams and the South was never ‘if’, it was always ‘when’.
The whole canapé circuit of the international conflict-resolution industry must surely be grating on Adam’s nerves by now. And apart from TV appearances and book-signings, what else has he really been doing in public life for the past few years?
To be fair, The Deptford Croppy is guessing that the only person more surprised than the Belfast Telegraph at this turn of events was Sinn Féin Councillor Tomas Sharkey, who clearly had his sights set on taking the Louth seat over from Arthur Morgan. Morgan himself announced last week that he wouldn’t be contesting the next election in order to spend more time with his business or concentrate on his family or both or possibly neither.
All I know is that the Dundalk Democrat was able to speculate that even as he prepares to step down, Morgan -- who is his party's spokesperson on Finance, Enterprise and Trade and Social and Community Affairs --confided that “he felt he had enough support from the people to continue on after the next election if he hadn't decided to call it a day.’I think I would've had an easy enough task to be returned by the people of Louth.’”
So Arthur’s not stepping down for want of support and more to the point, he wants you to know that. At this point, you either believe that he really is, after nearly 40 years of frontline involvement in political activism, going to step down and concentrate on his business interests or you draw the not unreasonable inference that Arthur was shown the advantages of standing aside for the big lad.
The Herald in Dublin meanwhile was prophesying splits in the party and trying to make some hay on the fact that some in the grassroots organisation were not consulted about this golden parachute for the leader.
Retiring TD Arthur Morgan : work offers 
considered as a Dennis Farina lookalike
 (him out of Snatch and Get Shorty)
Then again, why would the leadership (of Sinn Féin especially) consult the grassroots about what amounts to a major strategic decision for the party? The tight orchestration of Sinn Féin moves like this don’t allow for the tabling of motions in Louth local cumann meetings.
The Wee County's Sinn Féin-voting electorate will most likely suck this one up and take it for the team. I suspect the permutations offered by Adams in Leinster House may be too tempting for dwelling on local enmity.  
But above all, there is the dawning reality of the gamble that Adams is taking. Still hanging over the announcement of Adams’ intention to run for the Dáil, is the spectral presence of Brendan ‘The Dark’ Hughes.
That disembodied voice, like a dead emissary of the Disappeared or the disembodied chorus of a Greek Tragedy, accusing Adams of complicity in Jean McConville’s demise from beyond the grave....is this the stain that won’t wash away?
If Adams fails to get elected in Louth where he will be running against seasoned Leinster House campaigners like Justice Minister Dermot Ahern, the golden parachute might turn very quickly into a lead balloon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...