Skip to main content

Cane Rows

Because prison is such a bleak place, those surprising little moments of beauty and tenderness can really catch you off-guard.
Recently, I was facilitating a visit for an Irish prisoner who's halfway through a twenty stretch. I took his 22-year old daughter and her 2-year old son down to see his granda, because he hadn’t seen them in over a year.

I got up to go to the coffee bar to get some hot drinks and biscuits in but it was really to give them a bit of space on their own while I queued. I took a look around me, first glancing back at my happy prisoner with his daughter and her son and then, my gaze wandered to the other prisoners getting their visit.
Pretty, brassy girls I'd seen dolling themselves up in the toilets before the visit; now sitting with their handsome, banged-up bad boys, doubtless promising to stay true.
Slow, lithium-heavy VPs (Vulnerable prisoners; usually sex-offenders) being visited by wee middle-aged mothers with tight lips and even tighter perms.
An elderly Sikh couple visiting a troublesome youngest son; everywhere you turned was another tableau from London’s tapestry: so many cultures and colours arrayed against the drab buff concrete walls and watched over by morose, grey-skinned prison guards whose sharp eyes looked only for smuggled drugs and illicit handjobs.
I noticed two black families visiting their respective loved ones; one for a father and the other for a son. Not in itself remarkable.
But it was the women that really struck me. As soon as the son's mother and the father's daughter got into the hall, they both picked up plastic forks at the coffee bar.
They didn't know each other but each nodded an embarrassed recognition. Almost before they'd even greeted their loved ones, the two women, with little sentimentality and much practicality, sat their two prisoners down and got straight to work on sorting out their cane rows.
The son chatted and joshed with his younger brother in one group and the father dandled a grandchild on his lap in the other. And all the while, the two women worked on their hair, nimbly picking out the partings in the afros with the plastic forks and defly plaiting the tight curls.
Every now and then, the women would smile indulgently to themselves as they listened to their men's conversations. By the time they had finished, at the end of the visit, they had made their men look handsome again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...