Skip to main content

Britain balks at Ireland’s £7bn medicine

Europe...my arse 
News that the UK will be ponying up £7bn (€8.2bn) as part of the Irish bailout was greeted with hissy-fits from the Euro-sceptic rumps of all the big three parties in Parliament today. But then Britain never could get its story straight when it comes to either Ireland or Europe.
Since joining the then EEC with Ireland and Denmark in 1973, the Great British Public has wavered between ambivalent scepticism and xenophobic hostility on the question of its involvement with its European neighbours.
The British (English) press has never tired of whipping up Europhobia. From the heady days of ‘Up yours Delors’ to ‘Metric Martyrs’ and ‘non-bendy bananas’. Indeed, the man on the Clapham Omnibus could be forgiven for thinking that Europe was solely devised to erode the British way of life.
Chancellor Osborne (himself apparently an heir to an Irish Baronetcy) has played the bailout as a helping hand to a friend in need.
Very noble. But let’s take a closer look. The Irish might always have moaned about how much of our trade is done with the UK but that’s a story that cuts both ways and while things were good in Ireland, Britain was riding the pig’s back (if you’ll forgive the image).
But today, even in London’s Evening Standard comes the dawning realisation that British fortunes are inextricably linked to Ireland’s fate.  Our economies (while in different orders of magnitude) are not dissimilar in some crucial fundamentals; an over-reliance on financial services and a dangerous yen for dabbling in property being the most cogent commonalities.
Ireland is by far the biggest destination for UK trade so an Irish implosion is not in the interests of the British (however much it might appeal to their over-developed sense of Schadenfreude).
In fact, sustained economic turbulence in Ireland could potentially cause a systemic overflow to Blighty.
Neverthless, the mood among the public is probably less forgiving and not just among perenially disgruntled white van drivers or Mail-reading cabbies either.


The Rusty Wire Service can certainly confirm that at least one London university law professor this evening felt confident enough to tell ‘Irish’ jokes to an appreciative audience of largely white English and upper middle class students. It's good to know that some things never change....especially among the opinion-forming elite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...