Skip to main content

‘Bring the back the Boycott!’-- The Rusty Wire predicts it first!

Captain Boycott:
Back to the '70s, the 1870s
 
Recently, The Rusty Wire Service made a (cod) plea for boycotts and flash-mobs in response to the recent and sadly ongoing shenanigans of Ireland’s bankers, developers and politicians. If nothing else, this was a prescient jape.
A news story from 11 November offered readers a glimpse of what might be in the pipeline further down the road as the cuts really take hold. According to one news site (thejournal.ie: “A 67-acre plot of farmland about an hour north of Dublin managed to attract just a single bid at auction yesterday – of just €1.”
The land being auctioned off by the receiver belonged to George Beglin, a local solicitor involved in property development. Mr Beglin still lives near the 67-acre site at Crossakiel in Kells, Co Meath.
Mr Beglin’s neighbours had, through their actions, made a clear and lawful expression of their feelings on the situation. By the time the story rumbled on to 12 November, the Indo felt confident enough to proclaim that “€1 bid for farm shows depth of locals' anger toward banks”.
Other papers quickly drew inevitable comparisons with John B Keane’s ‘The Field’. A number of TV bumtits (excuse me,Pundits, damn this dyslexic Tourette’s) were happy enough to remind us of that great Irish fondness for land (‘sure, you’re nothin’ without it’).
It should be pointed out however that the landowner in question was himself an overextended speculator. But he was just not big enough to be bailed out by the taxpayer so the media have played this as a ‘Banks vs The Rest of Us’ story.
Now obviously, I’d love to think that the farmers of Meath are avid readers of The Rusty Wire Service and they tuned in their hundreds to my recent tongue in cheek call for a return to such joyfully old-school and still very effective tactics but given that The Rusty Wire had exactly no followers at the time of writing, I’m guessing they went off on a little frolic of their own. 
"The Bird's right, I am the Bull..." 
This little frolic didn’t happen in some remote, insular rural community, where savage (and beautifully cinematic) primitivism reigns. This little drama played out only an hour’s drive from Dublin.
Our friend the bank was, of course, quick to offer a typically sour, beancounter’s response which essentially amounted to them saying that the land would be sold irrespective of the locals’ wishes, most likely by private treaty.
The bank’s statement also went on to suggest, in vaguely threatening terms, that the failed auction might have done the landowner no favours in that they now might not be able to get the target price and therefore less of the landowner’s debt would drawn down as a result.
I reckon the bank might be confusing these farmers with someone who actually gives a shit. Either way, I suspect the banks, the government and indeed the rest of the gravy-train riders will be very keen to make sure that this kind of carry-on doesn’t become a regular occurrence.
Certainly, if the boycotting of auctions started to become more common, it would be quite a fillip to other, shall we say; more proactive approaches to commercial and even civil disobedience.
But if you expect me to pronounce that we may well look back on this incident and say ‘this is where open hostilities were first declared in earnest on the Irish ruling class’ then you’re mad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down a Rabbit-Hole

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Seán Flynn. I'm 56 years old and I have been a front-line paramedic with the London Ambulance Service in the East End for the past seven years. It's a job I love and, by and large, it's the happiest I've been in a long and varied working life. I am also an accredited GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) coach with enhanced DBS clearance; both as a coach and as a registered clinician. I recently travelled to the West Bank in order to coach three teams in the territory under the aegis of GAA Palestine, introducing the children to Gaelic football. I was lucky enough to travel first to South Bethlehem, then to the Al Am'ari Refugee Camp in Ramallah and then on to Qabatya in Jenin. It's important to note at this point however that the individual with whom I was initially due to travel, pulled out on the morning of the trip as the result of a cancelled connecting flight; leaving me to fly out on my own.  As a consequ...

Never thought my life would be like this

    When I wake up on a work day (it doesn't matter whether it's early or late), I get on station and figure out which truck I'm on; there's a screen in the mess room that shows the fleet number – my truck – beside mine and my crewmate's names and our call-sign for the shift. I go to the key safe, use the appropriate code and take out the keys matching the fleet number (assuming that the keys don't belong to a truck still out on the road). Then I go to the drugs room, using my ID card to gain entrance. Inside, I use a specially allocated smart key to gain access to the drugs lockers to take out my meds for the shift. I then have to separately access another safe to get my morphine ampoules which I have to sign out and have witnessed. I also have to ensure that the numbers between the book and safe tally before closing the safe. So once I have my drugs, I go back to my truck and start to check it over. Engine, and all lights (incl. hazards and blues) on for a wal...

A Deptford Particular

Earlier this month and for the last time, I trained at the Lord Clyde Boxing Gym in Deptford. When it closed, I lost one of my favourite places in all of London. The gym at the ‘Clyde shut its doors after a protracted legal battle that had initially seen the plucky little boozer successfully challenge the developers’ plans. Landlord Rory McInally brought together a wide coalition to oppose the move. But the developers have since hit back and have succeeded in their objections to the gym’s continued use. This was a place where local kids boxed for free, trained and supervised by former professional boxers fer chrissakes. Plans had even been afoot to revive the Cuban-style outdoor gym in the backyard for the Summer months. While we’re not always the biggest fans of the police on these pages we do acknowledge that those officers who have any interest in building community relations have always traditionally recognised the value  of local boxing gyms and the ‘Clyde had ...